Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Possibly buying a Grand Marquis. Need Tips!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Possibly buying a Grand Marquis. Need Tips!

Hello all,
    I've been on the lookout for a Grand Marq for a long time in my area, and no decent ones ever were being sold... until I found one at some sleazy buy here pay here type of dealership. It's an 06' LS with 85k miles on it, runs great, and was originally a Florida vehicle. I guess what I need to know is, are they asking too much? They were originally asking 10500 for the car (which is ridiculous) but I got them down to 8000. Just to be sure this was a good car, I took it to my mechanic and he checked the thing inside and out, and the only problems he found was minor seepage in the lines for the steering, and the rotors and brakes were shot. Aside from some minor cosmetic damage like a cracked tail light and some paint scrapes, he said it was "the nicest Grand Marquis he's seen in a while". He also raised the car up and showed me the underside, which didn't have a speck of rust on it, which is amazing, because that's kind of unheard of around here for an older car not to have rust. (this was a Florida vehicle after all).

What I need to know is, are they still asking too much for the car for 8 grand? And how costly are these vehicles down the road? I need something that is going to last me for at least another 8 or so years, and not bleed me dry in repair costs. I also would be driving this thing in the winter, so I'm guessing I need snow tires? I drive a GMC Jimmy currently that has 4WD, but I'm sure a rwd is a totally different ballgame. Any Suggestions?

Get a check of the car, carfax or the other one, one of the credit bureaus does car checks. Make sure the miles are right.

You need posi for snow. Check the door and or rear end tag for rear end code. Post it here or look it up on the interweb. If it does not have posi it is a very worthwhile upgrade for snow. It gives you two real drive wheels. Normal is one. Retail might be around $550+/-. But you need someone who knows how. Caution, I always seem to underestimate what a shop would charge. It would be much cheaper if you go used and do it yourself but again someone needs to know what they are doing. New the parts would be around $250 or so.

Snow tires help when you need them.

Check the internet, cars.com to get an idea of what they are asking for. Also look it up on NADA.com AS always, a dealer will cost you more but there may be a mandatory warranty period.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

The carfax on it is clean as a whistle. And I didn't get a chance to check the door for those tags, but I hear if you put weight on the rear axle in the trunk it really helps a lot. Also, those cars retail around 7800-9800, so I guess it is in the ballpark range. Only leverage I have going right now is the problems it does have, and the fact it has been sitting on their lot for almost 10 months now. I highly doubt they will get their moneys worth sending it to auction though.

Comment

I don't know about pricing on an 06 but have driven an 03 in 2 winters with a regular diff. I'm sure posi is better though

I haven't been using snows but run fairly aggressive rear tires year'round, and with traction control it's perfectly OK, to me. I believe if it has traction control there will be an off switch for it on the dash, probably looks like this, the one with the car skidding:

http://media.wheels.ca/vehicles/1175...4116-23-sm.jpg

If you've never driven rear wheel drive cars play around in an empty parking lot in the snow a bit come winter, because they do act differently than a FWD or 4WD car. Not necessarily worse than a front driver, as most everyone believes nowadays, but differently. I do prefer studded snows as a matter of course but didn't have them for this car till a couple of weeks ago. Weather doesn't stop me from doing what I want to do.

My 03 has been more expensive than the older ones I've owned but is still a good reliable car, and you'll be driving the last of the large body-on-frame V8 RWD cars that made our country great, even though they were made in Canada

Pete
        Originally posted by gadget73
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
        X