Afraid to ask, but I needs to know:-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Afraid to ask, but I needs to know:-)

My '86 GM Tudor has about 80K miles...............how will I know the timing chain is starting to go??

86 doesn't have the silly nylon coated gears. Your fine.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

well, 95% chance its fine. The crappy set did occasionally show up as late as 88 but its rare.

Pull the distributor cap off and put a breaker bar on the crank bolt. Rock the breaker bar back and forth. If you don't notice any movement of the breaker bar before the rotor starts to turn, you're fine. If you get more than about 5 degrees rotation either way of the crankshaft before the rotor moves, some ting wong.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's a CHAIN, not a belt, so you don't have to worry about it all that much. Plan to replace it if you ever have to pull the lower intake.

'85 2-Door Crown Victoria
        302 HO, -0.022" E7 Heads, Weiand Dual Plane Intake, Edelbrock 1406 Carb, Mechanical Fuel Pump, HEI Distributor, 180* T-stat, Transgo Shift Kit, HO Governor, Lokar TV/Throttle Cable Setup, B&M Torq Master 2000 RPM Stall Converter, FRPP Trans Cooler, Mustang Shorty Headers, 2.25" Dual Exhaust, Flowtech H-pipe (no converters), Hooker AeroChamber Mufflers, Side-exit Exhaust w/ Chromed 2.5" Tips, '02 PI F/R Shocks, Cut 2004 PI Front Springs in the Rear, PI Rear Sway Bar, 17" SAP Wheels, 245/50/Z17 Michelin Pilot A/S Tires, Cold A/C, Cruise Control, 4.10 Rear End Gears, Trac Lok Diff.
        '04 Crown Victoria LX Sport, '02 Jeep Liberty
        '83 Suzuki GS 1100E Motorcycle[/color]

Comment

Did mine in the '87 GM when I did the water pump, simply because I was that "far in". Car had approx 123K and the chain/gears still looked good! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I did the one on my 91 Mark VII at 225k. It had some slop, but not enough to have been a problem. Changed it because i had the water pump and the balancer off for replacement and it made sense to pop the front cover. the crappy set used plastic teeth on the cam gear though, and they were frequently shot to the point of jumping by 120k miles, and often bad enough to make the engine run badly around 80k or so. These are interference engines too, so if the chain jumps it will smash the valves up. Mostly the crappy set ended in 1985 but I've seen at least one 1988 towncar with smashed valves from that crappy timing set.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I did the one on my 91 Mark VII at 225k. It had some slop, but not enough to have been a problem. Changed it because i had the water pump and the balancer off for replacement and it made sense to pop the front cover. the crappy set used plastic teeth on the cam gear though, and they were frequently shot to the point of jumping by 120k miles, and often bad enough to make the engine run badly around 80k or so. These are interference engines too, so if the chain jumps it will smash the valves up. Mostly the crappy set ended in 1985 but I've seen at least one 1988 towncar with smashed valves from that crappy timing set.

That's weird. Must be one of those random parts bin specials.
              2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
              2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
              2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
              1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Working...
              X