What would you do first?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you do first?

My '86 GM Tudor needs paint and some body work, plus a new padded roof.

What should I do first the roof or the body work?

Unless your top has rust under the padded roof, I would do the roof first. The reasoning is that when taking off the old padding, there is a high possibility of scratching any new paint. The new top is easy to mask off for painting..

Comment

I'd do both at the same time. Or, more accurately, I'd take the old top off, do the bodywork, then put the new top on.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Both at once. Remove the roof and find out what else needs to be dealt with. You're going to drool solvents and other foul stuff down the side of the car when removing the old glue anyway, so no point in getting that on fresh paint. Once thats dealt with, bodywork, paint, then put the top back on. You don't want overspray on the top, and you want to make sure there is paint up under the edge of the top so there aren't any funny paint lines or anything like that. Just beware if that top is heavily cracked, you may find ugly things under it. Part of the roof of my car is not original thanks to a combination of an improperly sealed windshield and a really horribly bad vinyl top.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X