How big a job, how many hours?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How big a job, how many hours?

On my '86 Tudor GM (5.0)........replaced the blower motor resistor.........same problem, blower motor starts and stops, then slows down then runs.........this while a/c is on........also when blower stops for 60 seconds or so I smell prestone.........if I have to pull the blower motor........what is involved, and should I also pull the heater core as that seems to be on its last legs?

When I replaced the blower motor on my '89 it was just pop the hood, undo electrical connection(s) and a few bolts and that was it. Heater core on the other hand... 4+ hours seems to be what I usually hear. Even tough I have never replaced the heater core I have had the dash apart enough to do so on plenty of parts cars.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Pulling the blower motor is not hard at all. There are a couple of bolts (4-5 maybe) on the outside of the blower under the hood. It's been awhile since I removed one but then it should just pull out after connectors are removed.

The heater core is a pretty intensive job but not that hard as long as you take your time and don't crack any brittle plastic.

There is a write up somewhere on the forum in a sticky that is prefect and if you follow it, you will not have any problems.

Also when you order a heater core make sure they give you the right one, in my experience most parts stores have the part number messed up on it, but maybe because I have a CV.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Core-Write-Up

Here is the write up. Just follow it and you'll be fine.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

My car is an '86.............so no 4 bolts on the outside:-(.........which means I have a feeling the dash has to be f-ed with:-(

Comment

No 4 bolts on an '86!

Comment

There are 4 bolts on an 86, and its accessed from under the hood. I've had the blower motor out of my own 86 at least once now. That basic heater box design dates to at least 1980. '79 had some different stuff but I wouldn't be too surprised if the blower came out the same way on those too.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Yeah 4 bolts from the outside visible underneath teh p aside hood hinge.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The 4 position blower switch with ACC.....can I get to it without pulling the entire slide control assembly?
                  I will take an additional look for those four bolts, I gave a fast glance this afternoon...........you know if I ever win Lotto (keep dreaming) I would put some Ford big block in there and put in a HD Tremack(sp) 6sp tranny.........I love these Tudor rides.............direct line back to the families 500 XL's and Galaxie coupes.

Comment

Why do I smell Prestone when the blower motor stops?? light smoke comes out of the panel registers when the blower slows down and or stops???

Comment

What are you trying to replace exactly, the blower or the switch? The switch is in the slide control assembly and you have to pull that out to get at the switch.

The heater core is shot, thats what the smoke and the smell is. Only fix is to replace the heater core or bypass it so you have no heat.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Why is it that when the blower motor is working, there is no smoke, and no Prestone smell?
                        I am in the NYC area...........any suggestions as to someone who specializes in heater cores??

Comment

coolant smell is probably a small leak in the hose to the heater core or the heater core. blower issue could be the resistor pack and harness having contact issues. If it works when you manually switch it to high... it's the resistor pack.

the resistor is accessible on the engine side of the heater core... it's the only wire harness plugged into the plastic heater plenum on the firewall there. If it's totally baked, you'll need to replace it (I had to do that with my 88 - see pics)
                          Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sly, replaced the ACC blower resister last week. Still have blower motor issues.

Comment

Best bet on the heater core is to do it yourself. A big job like that you will get screwed on prices and end up with countless broken things and excuses by a shop.....
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X