Throttle Position Sensor.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throttle Position Sensor.

Do I have to make any fine adjustments to a new TPS for my '86 GM with 5.0? after I install same?

Not really. You can confirm that the voltage output is somewhere around 1 volt, but its intended to not really be adjustable.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Key on engine off? Green wire pierced with pin so that my Fluke red lead can attach to same with black wire to throttle body housing?

Comment

ideally black wire in the TPS harness should be your ground but you got the idea. There is a potential for slightly different ground potential between the TPS circuit ground and the engine block. Not significant, but when you're talking about 1 volt, a couple tenths can screw your readings up.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Tomorrow I will test the old one again.........if it tests one volt or less, than I assume I do not need a new TPS?

Comment

Normal acceptable range is I think 0.8 - 1.1v, normally its somewhere in the 0.9-1.0v range. If its outside that range, its toast. The other trick is that the voltage needs to smoothly increase from idle to WOT without any drops or spikes.

Comment

So it could potentially test within those limits, yet still be bad if upon acceleration it exhibits drops and or spikes?

Comment

yes. Its usually easier to see that sort of thing with an analog voltmeter but usually when they die, it'll be at or near the bottom end of the throttle range where it acts up. You'll also typically get a code about it stored.

Comment

Just tested the TBS........a consistent reading of .977.........no higher................keep, or toss and replace with new?

Comment

if you sweep it and it doesn't change... toss it. If that's the idle position... that's about right.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

That reading was key on engine off. Did not do a reading from idle to wot.
                      The problem is that the car stumbles when cold, and when I feed gas, it does not react immediately, it sorta jerks up and back..until I really put my foot into the gas........delayed acceleration.

Comment

See if it sweeps with the engine not running. If it does, the TPS is fine.

Try unhooking the EGR vacuum line to see if anything changes. If it runs better, clean the EGR vacuum regulator filter and shoot some WD40 down the hole under the filter to see if it helps any.

Comment

I thought the engine had to be running to get a sweep figure? How do I get a sweep figure with no engine operation?
                          Brand new EGR and sensor last week, OEM from Green Sales. Pardon me, I had no idea the EGR had a filter?? Where??

Comment

key on engine off will give the signal. you want the engine off because you don't want to rev the nuts off of it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                            Originally posted by dmccaig
                            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok, explain how to sweep it?

Comment

Working...
                              X