Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need help installing a aftermarket stereo in a 83 Grand Marquis.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help installing a aftermarket stereo in a 83 Grand Marquis.

I am going to be installing this head unit in my car. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The only things I am concerned about is the stock amplifier being a problem, I have read that is needs to be bypassed in some way. Can someone please explain how and if it really needs to be bypassed? Also the face plate over the stock radio wraps around the two nobs on the stereo, I am assuming that I will need to be cut to allow the install kit to work?

Any help will be appreciated.

that premium sound can be bypassed easily. The square plug for the speakers that has a full 8 wires (not the 5 wire one) is the one to use going to the speakers. Leave the rest unplugged and the amp is bypassed. This is IFF it's the same as the one that was in my Mark VI (which from what I've heard, it is). The radio/AC bezel can be replaced with a later model (85?+) and it'll be nice and clean, but baring finding one to match your interior, yeah, gonna have to cut it. Also, the mounting bracket (I used one from Metra) will be required to bolt behind the bezel. I would say that you'll need to make your own trim ring for the bezel since no matter what, it will be in front of the new stereo since it sits further out. It shouldn't be used to support the stereo.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

You will need to re-wire the speakers. It looks harder than it sounds. Do you have the 6 or 4 speaker set up? Also, need to find a front trim bezel from a '84-'87 grand marquis. That would be much smarter than trying to cut your current one. The '84-'85 has the right opening for a double din deck. Also, like sly said, get a good dash mounting kit. You will have to play around with the shimming and such, so that it mates up with the radio trim bezel just right.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Yeah, get a later model bezel. It's just not gonna look right otherwise. Marquisman is right, rewiring honestly would be the best option. That system uses a common ground (only 1wire per speaker) which doesn't work with the new unit. They make an adapter for it, but i tried one and injected noise into the system.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

in my Mark, the 5 wires (4 signals and ground) go TO the amp... but the amp sends 8 wires BACK to the harnesses to another 8 wires out to the speakers. This 8 wire harness is exactly the harness to use with the wiring adapter harness. ( http://www.crutchfield.com/p_1207050...s.html?tp=2977 ) If yours sends the wires directly from the amp to the speakers, you would need that uber long ass amp bypass cable or run wires yourself. Mine was plug and play from the dash. Mine is also the 6 speaker setup with the two in the doors and the two in the dash wired to the front signals. If you don't have that connector, then yes, run your own wires, but if you do have that connector (should come off the AMP switch), then you can save yourself a crap load of time.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

I believe mine has a 7 speaker set up. Its looking like I am going to have to go ahead and tear it apart and just do it on the fly.

Comment

The center dash hole shouldn't have a speaker, though its possible the amplifier lives there. I know thats where it lived in 1982. Not sure when they moved it to the trunk.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

was in the trunk on my 82 Lincoln... probably a Lincoln thing though.

Comment

Working...
                X