speaker wiring

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

speaker wiring

This may be a retarded question but would running larger than stock wires to your speakers result in better sound quality? I was thinking on using 14ga primary wire
    I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying - Oscar Wilde

Really don't believe you will actually hear a difference except what your mind tells you (placebo effect).

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

technically, yes and no.
      If you're running lots of power, yes. If standard power (40-50W/ch) not so much. running 14 gauge will allow higher power stuff to be used though. Also, if you go too big, you'll require more power to get the signal down the wire. This is why 8 gauge wire is never used on speakers other than effin huge subwoofers due to HUGE power requirements. Typically you're good with 18 gauge wire for most standard car audio. Use 14 gauge if you're going into the 100-200w per speaker range. If using uber cheap wire... 14 gauge is great because it makes up for the lack of quality copper.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There isn't enough length or power to really need fatter wire. I think the stock stuff is 18 or 16.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Holy crap these responses are lightning fast compared to cvn! As far as the radio is concerned I'm going to be using a Panasonic cq5109 radio from a 2005 kenworth t600 but I figured since I'm rewiring away the crappy common ground setup I figured I'd make things bigger and better ya know.
          I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I'm saying - Oscar Wilde

Comment

I'd go w/ 16 and call it good if rewiring.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

+1 16AWG and have a nice day. If you have a lot of 14AWG already, sure. But if you're buying, meh... 18 or 16.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

thank you for the info fellas 4 colors of 16ga it is and now to figure out how and where to run the wires

Comment

I am no pro but if 16g or even 18 doesn't do it I would be really surprised, heck 14g is used for house electric wiring at 120v 15amp or 1,800 watts. Granted it is not the same purpose but it gives you some idea of the capacity before the wire gets really hot and offers more resistance.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

yeah... solid copper sucks for moderate frequencies at power, but stranded is great. for the short runs in a car, 18 gauge is really all you need. 16 gives a little room for good fidelity when cranked up on systems less than 400W. I think the wires run to my subs are 16AWG. Might be 14. and it's 135W per channel RMS (380W Peak, but I never worry about peak values since that's just advertising and not really needed for system building).

Comment

how do I get rid of the amp? if I unplug it I lose power to the whole thing

Comment

depending on the system, you either buy the amplifier bypass harness or you run new wires from the dash out to each speaker. You cannot get rid of the amp with a factory stereo though.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Re wire: Anything you got will be fine. regular zip cord will work just fine in your house as well. Don't get hung up on wire as it isn't that critical, even phone wire is going to work until you start cranking the power. This topic was a favorite of the teachers in college as we had a more than a few antenna and transmission line design courses.

Alex.

Comment

yup... power decides wire thickness for a given distance... which is why transmission lines are very high voltage and low current (current creates heat, not voltage). I used audiophile speaker wire cause it was given to me and on hand. When I buy wire, I get the cheap stuff that's still made of stranded copper that's not uber thin strands that they break when you touch them or bend them twice (decent quality at least) and just go with it.

Comment

Working...
                            X