Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is the 2006+ Panther (primiarilly for the 4r75) worth a little extra?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the 2006+ Panther (primiarilly for the 4r75) worth a little extra?

Hello,

This is my first post here, and I am beginning to look for a Grand Marq or Crown Vic which hasn't been used as a police/taxi mule. I have been doing some reading here and there and found a lot of people like the police interceptor Crown Vics from 2004 and up, one reason being the newer transmission. I don't want to get into a car which is going to give me a ton of AT problems down the road, so I figure the best bet is to look at a nice Grand Marq which was owned by an older person (less abuse, likely better maintained), but I read in 2006 the Grand Marq got the updated transmission 2004+ Vic police interceptors got, is it worth an increased price and longer search to find a Grand Marq with the 4r75, rather than a 2005 or older with the 4r70? I admit I do like the exterior facelift styling of the 2006+ a tiny bit more, but for the right car it wouldn't matter as much as dependability.

Thanks.

I think you're obsessing a bit over transmission problems. It takes about $12-1500 and a day in a good shop to rebuild an auto tranny, at least on the boxes '79-92.5. The newer 4r70w or 75w shouldn't be much more. And ALL the stuff I've seen is that these transmissions are bulletproof as long as properly maintained. I think you're supposed to change tranny fluid/filter every 30k (hey, it's $100 or so for the shop to do it) but most people don't even know what color their transmission fluid is (or is supposed to be), or how to check it. You shouldn't have to spend all the extra money for a newer-newer car when even at 10 years old these vehicles represent a terrific bargain.

Now I can see wanting the '05 and up for the better rear axle? & the rear drilled/slotted rotors. As well as the final-revised LCM (lighting control module) without the self-munching capacitors. But I really think you'll be fine if you can just find one that's clean inside and out and under, with all the maintenance records. If you're buying used, you're not buying a car, you're buying the previous owner(s). You can save a whole lot of money that could be used for repairs/maintenance down the line by opening up your options a bit, even if it's just going back to '03+.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, I think the best thing for me to do is look for that meticulously maintained rig first, and year second. Still, coming from a 2005 Honda v6 I am bound to be paranoid about automatic trannys now, they are glass-like in those cars. I do like the newer styling, but I have been finding they are fewer and further between, but I will keep my eye out. I had one on vacation for a rental and really enjoyed how smooth and utterly comfortable it was, not to mention I know if police and taxi fleets use them durability is high.

Comment

there's also this 82 Lincoln Mark VI 2-door coupe for sale too

runs like a top with the 93 mustang under the hood.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Worth more? Hum, I've owned 76 automobiles and trucks. Condition and mileage are always and have been the two major factors in pricing a used car. I and my family have owned 17 (1985 thru 1991) Crown Vics. All of them were police package cars. NONE of the cars I have owned and presently own have transmission problems. Having said that, the cable that attaches to the carb or throttle lever on the injected car is a problem. The only "factory problem" experienced by our state law enforcement "box CVPIs" was a down shift slamming issue. This occurred when coming off throttle and coasting a long distance. This condition affected the 1991 CVPI, and the transmission "slammed" into third gear during a down shift. As I remember it, a "governor of some type was the culprit and many if not all 1991s that the state owned had this governor replaced in the valve body of the transmission. Good luck with your search and welcome to the party !

Comment

I'd say you are very safe with any 04+. One thing to note in 05 they went DBW and many things are 05 only. So I'd say 04 or 06+. The tranny is the last thing I'd worry about. Compared to a Honda V6 trans (well actually a tranny meant for a 4cyl) they are much more stout.
            2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
            2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
            Past Panthers
            1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
            if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Working...
            X