Education time yet again:-)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Education time yet again:-)

On my '86 5.0 GM..........is a thermal blower lockout the same thing as a heater valve and switch?
    I spliced the two wires together to get blower floor to work..............but............I was told that the reason my windshield fogs up with Prestone is due to the heater valve leaking............but there is never Prestone on the carpet, and if the valve is leaking how could the windshield fog up..........as the valve is outside of the car??

Have you seen if the heater core itself leaks??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Heater core time!
      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
      Past Panthers
      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Miami!
        Lived in Miramar back in the 60's LOL! OK, I see no Prestone inside of the car, and I see no Prestone below the car, so how do I prove the core is in fact leaking?
        And if the windshield fogs, how does it do this?
        Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        Have you seen if the heater core itself leaks??

Comment

TJ,
          My car bud who wrenches cars for almost 50 yrs in Union Beach, NJ tells me my core would leak on the outside of the car, but I see no Prestone, and the glass does fog when the car starts........I shoved strips of house A/C foam in the def ducts to stop the fogging....for now anyway:-(
          Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
          Heater core time!

Comment

pinhole leak in the heater core. you probably won't see much leak down on the floor, you'll have to pull back the carpet from the firewall to see the tiny stream. The vapor will however coat the inside of the windshield this way though. If there's no leak around the hoses to the heater core (the other possibility), then it's the heater core itself.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The thermal blower lockout valve, if still installed, *might* be leaking coolant and the steam is being sucked in to the air intake. More likely the heater core is bad, but have a look at the valve for signs of leakage. I replace those with a coupler, or replace the hose and simply don't cut it for the valve.

I've had several leaky heater cores and none of them have left puddles anywhere. They didn't leak enough for that, just enough to steam the glass. When they're pissing coolant on the carpet or under the car, its a severe case and theres no doubt that its bad.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Sly, no doubt that the windshield does fog and smells from Prestone.......and there is a strong smell of Prestone in the morning. Also Prestone fog seemed to me coming out of my a/c vents on the dash when the a/c was on? I will pull back the carpet to see if I see and tiny drips. Also put in new heater hoses last month............before I checked on the TBLS......now I have to yank the Plenum to get at the sucker again:-( I am in no physical position to pull the core myself.........I have a guy that does dash work very anal and clean (like me) he would be the one to do the core...........but damn I know I will be looking at $700.00 :-(

Comment

The TBLS is stil there, I just bi-passed the blower so that the floor position comes on when I want it to, and not what Ford said it should:-Also what about the vac lines that attach to the TBLS...I have not touched them, they control the blend door???
                  Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  The thermal blower lockout valve, if still installed, *might* be leaking coolant and the steam is being sucked in to the air intake. More likely the heater core is bad, but have a look at the valve for signs of leakage. I replace those with a coupler, or replace the hose and simply don't cut it for the valve.

I've had several leaky heater cores and none of them have left puddles anywhere. They didn't leak enough for that, just enough to steam the glass. When they're pissing coolant on the carpet or under the car, its a severe case and theres no doubt that its bad.

Comment

It controls the recirc air door. If it leaks, which it usually does, the system goes to hot defrost when accelerating. Plug the lines and it'll behave itself.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Had the car running today...............no leak can be seen under the pass carpet..........also no leaks anywhere near the TBLS housing. Should I still block off the two vac hoses? Can the housing itself leak, even though it is made of plastic?

I have to pull the blower motor again.........the squirrel is making noise so I have to lower it down on the shaft a bit more...........PITA!!

Comment

I'd get rid of the thing just because its 25+ year old plastic in a high heat environment. It gets brittle, and one accidental bump can make them shatter. It may not be a problem today, but that doesn't mean it won't be later. When it does become a problem, its a sure bet that it will be at the least convenient possible time. Having had one of those blow out, I can tell you it empties the cooling system pretty friggin quick. From the point mine popped, it was basically dry in about 3 miles.

Comment

Working...
                        X