Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Transmission swap?

Greetings,
    I'm looking get more information on swapping a C4 Merc-o-matic transmission into a newer style transmission. Does anyone have any good suggestions or recommendations on the conversion parts needed? Thank-you in advance for the help, and I'm sorry if I posted this in the wrong forum.
    @Ryan.Madison68

Or would rebuilding the current transmission be a more reasonable option?
    @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

Moved to transmissions forum.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I see a Martyo fender badge
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

what vehicle is this on? typically just rebuilding the transmission is the best bet, but depending on intended use that may not be the case.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

are you looking to replace a C4 with something that sucks less, or install a C4 into something in place of a better transmission? I suppose you can tell my feelings about the C4.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's from a 1964 Mercury Park Lane , and I'm looking for something good to cruise with highway and city miles.
              @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

*for
                @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

check this out: http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/tran...12-c4-aod.html
                  was done on a mustang, but should apply.

you might want to put some 3 series gears in the rear axle if you have anything lower.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Gotcha. What engine is in there? Many different bolt patterns, and many of the modernish transmissions dont exist in a form that bolts to an old motor. If its a 289, an AOD might work. There is an odd 5 bolt bellhouse 289, but I don't know what years those were. If you have that, you're pretty much boned as far as I know. If its the 6 bolt, you're good. If you have something thats impractical to replace, your other option is something like a Gear Vendors OD unit that bolts behind the transmission.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The motor is a 390. Right now I am having a problem shifting into overdrive. Other than that it drives great.
                      @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

390 uses the FE pattern.

will need an adapter plate to mount anything other than another FE trans.

http://www.transmissionadapters.com/Pricing.htm
                        Ford FE to Small Block Ford (FE to AOD)

352, 360, 390, 406, 410, 427, 428 $ 850.00

Comment

A C4 should have problems shifting into overdrive, though considering it does not have overdrive, thats to be expected.

Comment

Thank-you Sly. That's a big help!
                            @Ryan.Madison68

Comment

meh... I know how to massage google to spit out the right info most the time.

Comment

Working...
                              X