Fluid time!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fluid time!

Going to change the trans and Prestone in my '86 5.0.
    Trans is AOD...............what trans fluid should I use?.........I used to utilize Dextron 2, but do not see it in the places I have looked. And there are so many Prestone products out there, which should I purchase??

I just used cheap bulk ATF Dex/Merc from Sam's for the transmission fluid, and cheap green coolant for the coolant. You could also use Mercon V for a step up in fluid quality while still being cheaper than synthetic ATF from Mobil or similar.

Since you're dropping the pan, you can install a pan drain plug at the same time. Might be handy later on.

Comment

Nothing better than plain old Motorcraft mercon.. But if you cant find it cheap Vatozone sells Dex/Merc or any other off brand Dex/Merc and as for antifreeze I just buy Vatozone brand concentratred green and mix it up yourself..

Comment

While the pan is off, should I clean or obtain a new oil pan filter and grommet assy?

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
          While the pan is off, should I clean or obtain a new oil pan filter and grommet assy?
          New new new. RockAuto had some kits on closeout for all of $5 the last time I looked, and don't forget the pan gasket.

Comment

Many thanks...........I am also looking for an OEM NOS heater core.........when I find it, I will then take to a rad shop to pressure test and go over the solder area.........no way I do this job only to find the core leaks!!!

Comment

BTDT, with an OEM core. After I took it back out, I dunked it in a bucket of water while feeding it 10 psi of air. It bubbled out of the middle of the core. Not practically fixable, so in the brass bucket with it.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

the aluminum ones work very well. my 88 is VERY happy with it's aluminum welded core.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I use the 5 yr coolant. Just to cut down on the labor. Same reason I use the 15K/12month mobil1 oil.

This is assuming you have clean systems to start with.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Some thoughts concerning trans drain and re-fill.
                    If I smell the dip stick and there is no burnt or burning smell, should I still change fluid? The car has about 80K........also, in the winter when the car is first started, if I put it in drive nothing happens, just sits and revs........if I goose it she bangs into gear.........this is only in the cold temps of winter, spring, summer, never a problem. Lastly, is there a TC plug that I can get to to drain the converter?
                    Thanks again for all the education!.........I guess I actually do bleed Ford blue

Comment

I'd change it.

Slow engagement sounds like low fluid level, or maybe the wrong fluid. Running Type F or something might make it do this, or possibly just old fluid that has gotten thicker with age. Either that or it spent too much time around a classic Chrysler and has developed the TorqeFlite "morning sickness".

drain plug in the converter, check, assuming its a stock converter. Some aftermarkets do not have a plug.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I may bleed Ford blue, but I also know how amazing a MoPar 727 trans is

Comment

They're tough, but the 904 would get funky on a cold morning going into reverse.

Comment

Spoke to my Tranny guy, will use type F........he asked if I like a firm shift, more crisp, I said yes.......he said then utilize type F. Also he swears by Lucas Oil Trans Fix for those trannys that in cold temps shift late etc, he has used this stuff for yrs and in many cases is the difference between a re-seal or not.
                            Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                            I'd change it.

Slow engagement sounds like low fluid level, or maybe the wrong fluid. Running Type F or something might make it do this, or possibly just old fluid that has gotten thicker with age. Either that or it spent too much time around a classic Chrysler and has developed the TorqeFlite "morning sickness".

drain plug in the converter, check, assuming its a stock converter. Some aftermarkets do not have a plug.

Comment

I would recommend Merc III/ Dex, or Merc V if you're gonna drain the converter.

Type F is old school, and doesn't have the lubricity characteristics of more modern fluids. It results in firmer shifts because the fluid allows for less slip between the clutches.
                              **2012 Ford Mustang Boss 302: 5.0/ 6 spd/ 3.73s, 20K Cruiser
                              **2006 MGM,"Ultimate": 4.6/ 2.73/ Dark Tint, Magnaflows, 19s, 115K Daily Driver
                              **2012 Harley Davidson Wide Glide (FXDWG):103/ Cobra Speedsters/ Cosmetics, 9K Poseur HD Rider
                              **1976 Ford F-150 4WD: 360, 4 spd, 3.50s, factory A/C, 4" lift, Bilsteins, US Indy Mags, 35s Truck Duties

Comment

Working...
                              X