Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any Mopar guys know anything about the 2.2 Litre?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any Mopar guys know anything about the 2.2 Litre?

I know there's got to be at least a few Mopar guys lurking around here. Anyway my friend has a 1992 Plymouth Acclaim that she got from her grandfather. She's put about 4,000 miles on it in the past 2 years, and it still only has 52k and change on the clock, it's in pretty nice shape. Lately it's been acting up though, she says sometimes it bogs down, and the stalls out when she comes to a stop. It's an entirely intermittent problem so I'm having difficulty finding what's wrong.

I took it for a spin and it was perfectly fine when I drove it. I thought at first maybe the fuel pump was getting weak, but it sounds strong when I turn the key to the on position and I purposely stopped on an incline to see if it would stall, but it stayed running. I'm thinking it could be a vacuum line, but my visual inspection tells me the few lines appear to be in good shape, not dry rotted or anything. Any thoughts on what it could be? Also the CEL isn't on so it has me questioning if its a vacuum leak, unless the map sensor itself is shot which would explain why the lack of warning lights.
    Last edited by 84GrandMarquis; 09-26-2013, 06:47 PM.

sigpic

Check the VSS. Chryslers stall coming to a stop if the VSS is bad.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Great thank you! That leads me to ask what is probably a dumb question, but does anyone know where the vss is on these cars?

sigpic

Comment

I believe its on the side of the transmission near where the pass side axle comes out. Might be dead wrong on that though.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Wasn't Chrysler using the 2.5L in it's small/midsize cars by that point? I thought the 2.2 was gone after the late '80s.

I would check/clean the IAC, for good measure. Always seems to help older EFI engines idle better, plus the one on your friend's low-mileage Acclaim is probably nicely gunked up after 21 years.
          RyPow
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
          1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
          1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
          2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
          1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
          2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
          2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

Thank you both, I'll check all of that out, I really appreciate the help. And yes you are correct the Acclaims are the 2.5L. It's actually a Sundance though, I don't know why I wrote Acclaim before, lol sorry my mistake, they're all the same to me

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by 84GrandMarquis View Post
              they're all the same to me
              True that! They're all K-car-based FWD Mopar rustboxes
              RyPow
              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
              1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
              1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
              2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
              1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
              2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
              2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

I used to work for a foreman whose son swapped in a Caravan 2.2L into an Acclaim. He then installed a stage 2 Neon SRT-4 turbo onto it somehow. He said it was stupid fast and nobody knew any better. My useless contribution to this thread.

Packman

Comment

vacuum leaks, dig deeper they have those plastic lines that get brittle, also there is a vacuum tee that is made of rubber that usually fails.........been a long time since i worked on one, but used to have a fleet of them in my driveway
                  and these cars in my opinion were as reliable if not more reliable than a panther, and the fuel economy is much better.......to me they are a mini box.......i had a couple shadows, a sundance, an acclaim, a lebaron, a sprit es, a couple caravans and a 5th ave.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Those really weren't bad cars, they fall apart around the drivetrain but the 4cyl/3speeds run forever.
                    2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                    2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                    Past Panthers
                    1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                    if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Have you checked the fuel filter? 4k mi in that long period of time would lead me to think the fuel may be bad. Like leaving a mower full of gas during the winter without any stabil in the tank. I know on the carb'd 2.2 we had in our 85 caravan we had fuel filter problems along with rust inside the tank clogging things up.

Also make sure none of the vac lines are cracked or broken and check the vss. Does it fire right back up when it stalls? You may want to check the timing too. I want to say the timing belt is supposed to be changed every 50-60k mi.

With it sitting for long periods like that I'd say its fuel related but the timing belt could be due for a change as well.

'93 T-bird
                      '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                      '88 Mark VII
                      '86 CV

Comment

Originally posted by packman View Post
                        I used to work for a foreman whose son swapped in a Caravan 2.2L into an Acclaim. He then installed a stage 2 Neon SRT-4 turbo onto it somehow. He said it was stupid fast and nobody knew any better. My useless contribution to this thread.

Packman
                        I heard that if you know what parts to swap they are impressive and very cheap engines to build. I had a 2.2 turbo stock in a k car and it was a good engine, almost v8 like over around 20 mph.

Pete
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Working...
                        X