Please tell me what this part is.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Please tell me what this part is.

97 Grand Marquis. I noticed coolant on the driveway. Popped open the hood and noticed there is green coolant leaking from the pictured part. It is rusted through where the lower hose comes out. My chilton manual does not identify what it is. It's on the passenger side next to the coolant reservoir towards the back near the firewall. In my 2007 the same part is farther forward closer to the radiator.

So I think its related to the AC system, if so, is it safe to drive the car or should I get it fixed first before I drive it to work?

Also anyone know if this part is easy to replace? I'm fairly able on other things, I can do brakes, shocks, ball joints, etc. But never had to deal with the cooling system myself. Any info is appreciated, thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	68.1 KB
ID:	1300957

If you are talking about the black cylinder, that is the AC dryer. No radiator coolant in there.

Are you losing coolant, the level dropping?
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
      If you are talking about the black cylinder, that is the AC dryer. No radiator coolant in there.
      This^, what you are noticing drip out is the lubricant for the compressor that the factory put in there. The A/C drier is made from steel, so it rots out over time. You can get an aftermarket aluminum one for like 30-40 bucks on rock auto all day that won't have this issue. I just had to replace mine this summer on my marauder, the bottom was rotted the hell out.
      2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors
      440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
      2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
      2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Stock
      2000 BMW M5 - Evolve tune, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB
      1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors
      1985 BMW 745i - 18" Style 37's, Team745i Chip, Getrag 265/6, Clutchmasters FX-300, UUC Short Throw, Bilstein HD's

Comment

Looks like a puke bottle beside the receiver/dryer the left. I don't have a late model so I can say for sure if that's a coolant recovery bottle or not. Since that recovery bottle is under pressure, you might be getting the coolant "sprayed" on to the dryer and it's just dripping off from the lowest point.
        Last edited by P72Crazy; 10-06-2013, 08:51 AM.

Comment

Leaking AC dye looks almost exactly like fresh green coolant seepage. If you are not loosing coolant, I'd suspect that black receiver/dryer of the
          But, the fat hose coming out of the coolant reservoir is right there too, and I have seen those leak from rubbing on stuff.
          Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
          'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
          sigpic
          85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

If you have green liquid on the driveway it is NOT going to be refrigerant. An A/C leak may show up near itself but there would probably not be enough to make it to the driveway.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Hey Bob, if the receiver/drier blows a big enough leak the oil in the system (which from the factory has a greenish dye) can show up under the car. My 04 just this past summer the dryer failed and left a sizeable puddle of green oil in my driveway overnight. On the 03+ its much more common due to the placement down low in between the engine and radiator.
              2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
              2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
              Past Panthers
              1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
              if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Originally posted by tjc78 View Post
                Hey Bob, if the receiver/drier blows a big enough leak the oil in the system (which from the factory has a greenish dye) can show up under the car. My 04 just this past summer the dryer failed and left a sizeable puddle of green oil in my driveway overnight. On the 03+ its much more common due to the placement down low in between the engine and radiator.
                Yeah, I guess it is possible but my guess his condition is ongoing and that is doubtful. One time blowout, I can see that but not continuous....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

If his A/C no longer works, we know what the issue is.
                  2004 Mercury Marauder - Eaton M112, Billetflow 3.4, Accufab SBTB + Plenum, T-56 Magnum, 4.10's, Stainless Works LT's, 2.5" Exhaust, Borla Stingers, FX-R projectors
                  440rwhp & 406rwtq Tuned by Adam @ Revolution Automotive
                  2003 Mercury Marauder - Stainless Works LT's, Stainless Works 2.5" Catback, JLT Intake, Mo's Xcal4 Tune
                  2016 Ford Mustang GT PP - Stock
                  2000 BMW M5 - Evolve tune, UUC SSK, Dinan front STB
                  1996 Ford Bronco - 4" lift, 35" BFG A/T's, Punisher Valve Body, MH1 Projectors
                  1985 BMW 745i - 18" Style 37's, Team745i Chip, Getrag 265/6, Clutchmasters FX-300, UUC Short Throw, Bilstein HD's

Comment

There is that coolant reservoir right next to the drier can. if that hose into the reservoir is leaky, it might be running down the hose and dripping from the same area. Give the fluid a smell. AC oil smells plasticy, very much like PVC pipe cement. Coolant is very sweet smelling and more sticky than slippery.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Hey guys, thanks for the replies, I've been on business and didn't get back to this until now. Upon further inspection, this has to be the oil in the receiver/dryer unit. A hole rusted through near the bottom. My AC still blows very cold, but I'm not running it now so I don't cause any sort of damage.

I might not have a chance to deal with this for a couple of weeks due to competing priorities. Do you guys this its OK to run the HEAT/defogger instead? It's gotten colder around here and its raining nonstop, causing the window to fog up.

Comment

If there really is a rust hole in the dryer the AC can not cool. If it outputs air 20 degrees colder (at the vent) than ambient then you do not have a significant AC leak.

With the car running, ac in VENT mode, look at the compressor. See if the clutch is engaged. Do you know what that is? When the AC is low on refrigerant the pump/compressor will not engage. You can use whatever heat/defrost position cleans the best because the actual AC component of the system is shut by a safety/pressure switch.
                        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                        X