Tailgate problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tailgate problem

So I started cleaning the wagon today and realized a problem with the tailgate, it doesn't lock.
    I turn the key and can hear/feel the lock engage but I can still open it with the handle.
    I use the lock button and the same thing, it just won't latch.

Is there anything specific I can do to try and get it to latch? Would just cleaning the mechanism help/solve the problem?
    I don't have anything valuable in the car now but I don't like having a lock that doesn't lock.

Thanks,
    Tom
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

It is critical that the two latch strikers are aligned properly. Because if one latch does not fully engage, the lock wont go into full lock position. Usually the main cause for this, is the nylon around the striker falls apart. Worn hinge bushings will cause the damage of the nylon. As a temp fix, I used to wrap electrical tape around the striker to desired thickness. Also, its the top striker that is more common.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
    1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
    1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
    2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
    2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I looked at it and it was the top latch that wasn't latching, I sprayed it down with some cleaner and some lube and it latched.
      I know it worked when I picked the car up a week ago but it stopped working since, hopefully it's not a periodic problem.

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I have my top latch wrapped in electrical tape since the nylon bushing is long gone. Not sure if a replacement striker is available with new bushing for that latch.
        -Nick M.
        Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
        03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Yeah, I just have a metal striker, nothing around it. If it gives me any trouble I'll wrap it up with some tape.

Comment

Working...
          X