Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why does my heat/blower motor not blow hard sometimes?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why does my heat/blower motor not blow hard sometimes?

87 Town Car. Auto Climate Control. Auto Temp Sensor removed. New Heater Core.

First off I don't know much about the Lincoln auto climate temp control system and I never use the "auto" setting. I use the vent mostly. With the settings on VENT/Max Hot/Max Fan sometimes I barely get a stream of air coming out. Is this something to do with the blend door? Would low engine vacuum have anything to do with it? Howbout battery voltage? I just idled the car for 25 minutes. I turned the heat on like stated, and this is what I got. The car does have a nice big aluminum radiator and it runs surprisingly cool. Is there a sensor that's not seeing enough temp to blow full blast? The car had a replacement blower motor about 8 years ago, and seems to work fine except for this . Is there a feature or function that regulates how hard the motor blows?
    87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

and I just noticed that with the setting on vent, it was blowing hard from the defrost???
    87' Lincoln Town Car Stars + Stripes. Explorer GT40P, Anderson B31 Cam, Shorty Headers, FRPP 1.6 Rockers, A9L, Sn95 T5 Trans, 3:55 Limited Slip, GNX Rear Springs, LSC Turbines, 1.5 wheelspacers, Full Custom Dual 2.5/Flowmasters, 00 P71 Airtube, 19lb calibrated Maf, Summit Alum Radiator, King Cobra Clutch, Short throw Shfter, Energy Susp Trans Mount,
    Mods to come: Big Brake/Poly Front Swap, PI Front Swaybar, Addco 650 Rear Swaybar, Boxed Upper Rear Control Arms, 351/Alum Heads, FRPP Valve Covers,

Comment

vacuum reservoir (soup can/coffee can) may have a hole in it, the thermal lockout may have a vacuum leak where the lines plug in (not sealing well), the check valve on the vacuum tree might be bad (motorcraft part YG337), or something in the vacuum matrix is disconnected/cracked/leaking causing bleed out.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Wonder what type of replacement can be used for a "leaky" coffee can??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

GM ball (mid 80s b-body) works well.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            GM ball (mid 80s b-body) works well.
            Great info as "one never knows, does one??"

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

plus they're only like $15 instaed of $80.

Comment

plus they're only like $15 instaed of $80.
                And I guess they are still available?? I'd be curious who has them and what they look like.

Comment

yeah... http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._122285_15907_
                  Dorman 47076

Optional single point mount.
                  http://www.autozone.com/autozone/par..._120679_15907_
                  Dorman 47077

Comment

I have a late model crown vic plastic vacuum box. I am chasing vacuum issues but from what I understand if I have low vacuum the ambient temp sensor will make the system blow harder. I'm inspecting all lines. Any suggestions help.

Comment

As always, Jason, YOU DA MAN!!!

Comment

typically the low vacuum issue in the AC system is due to cracked/broken lines under the hood or that check valve going out.

Comment

low vacuum makes it go hot defrost. it doesn't make it blow harder. Depending exactly how low the vacuum level is, it can be somewhere between defrost and another setting, and somewhere between hot and cold. The TBL tends to be a big leak point since its straight off the main vacuum supply line. I'd seal those lines off if you haven't already. A bad check valve makes things act like you have vac leaks even if the system does not. The stuff inside the car is usually not a problem unless one got damaged or disconnected somehow.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It seems like my low vacuum/heating issues are going hand in hand as a result of a bad IAC valve causing the manifold vacuum to suffer. I discovered this after running codes. Code 13. Dashpot incorrect. I never had an issue with that IAC before (SN95 or Explorer IAC).. The car was definitely running right after I swapped the IAC with a spare original style IAC and the heat was blowing a little better from the vents and no longer from the defrosters. I believe I have it squared away now. Read on....

Order of diagnosis...
                            I checked my brake booster check valve and it only allows vacuum so it is fine. I have been experiencing high fuel pressure (44 psi at the guage) which I accredited to low vacuum pull on the fp regulator. In addition to the fuel pressure being high I was getting a bucking during cruising, misfire under acceleration, hesitation/breakup and a slight idle surge. I triple checked my vacuum, reset timing to 10 degrees, set tps/base idle 5 times, resetting ecu each time, swapped a 55 mm maf into the 70 mm housing which I know is incorrect but made no difference still breaking up/hesitating/surging. I purchased and installed the correct ProFlow 75 mm MAF calibrated to a fox body ecu with 19lbs, still made no change, ran codes and found the usual thermactor removed 81,82,95 as well as a code 13 (IAC Dashpot incorrect)that was unusual. It led me to replace my IAC with a spare I have. At first I installed the IAC backwards which I know is not correct, but just to see if it would run the car any differently and it ran GREAT. I took it for a rip and it pulled like a monster with no hesitation or breakup. So now I flipped it back to correct and I will run the car tomorrow.

The last issues I have with this car are the hard start which I am 99% convinced is due to constantly getting air bubbles in my cooling system causing inaccurate ect readings. Every time I bleed the system the car starts right back up with no hard start even after running it for an hour . I don't know if air is getting into the system, but my system is ALL NEW and holds excellent pressure. I have a huge radiator with no expansion tank. The filler neck sits high enough to get the air to bleed up, but I don't know if after I am capping the radiator and running the car, it is creating air somehow by not having the expansion tank . The filler neck does have a 16 lb cap and a bleed off valve that pisses out coolant if you exceed the caps pressure rating which has never happened so I don't think it's the cause. I'm really thinking it should be fine now that I bled it again, and topped it off.
                            Last edited by 87stars_stripes; 10-29-2013, 09:38 PM.

Comment

the check valve is the one for the HVAC, not the brake booster one, though that one does often fail and is almost never replaced. The grommet on the booster is another leak point. The HVAC one plugs into the vacuum tree and has 2 lines coming off it. One goes to the can, the other goes through the firewall. Test the same as the booster valve, it should suck one way and not the other. Pull vacuum on the soup can too. They often rust out at the seams.

If you're getting air bubbles in the cooling system, I half wonder if you don't have a leaky head gasket. Bubbles in the coolant are typical of a cylinder to water jacket leak. If you see an oily film on the coolant at the radiator neck, suspect an HG leak. No coolant tank will cause the system to always have some air though. The coolant will expand and overflow out of the radiator, but when it cools and contracts the only thing there to pull back in is air. Rig a soda bottle or something in there as a coolant overflow to keep the system full and see if that doesn't help.
                              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
                              X