Speedo Gear Operation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speedo Gear Operation

More of a trivial question I guess. How does the speedo gear operate? Is there another gear that engages the speedo gear? Just curious; I find that in the cold weather, my speedo shoots up to the max speed until the car/truck warms up and then it settles down to its normal reading. Both the Ranger and sometimes the CV does this during the winter.

Packman

the output shaft has teeth that engage the speedo gear to turn the VSS/cable. There's probably some electrical shenanigans going on with a loose ground or something generating noise in the system to get it to do that I would think.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oh, it's more complicated than just a mechanical problem. If I were on youtube, I would post a vid of my Ranger doing 0-85 in 6 seconds. LOL

Packman

Comment

hence the electrical shenanigans I mention. If the sensor wires are loose in any harness between them and the PCM, it may generate chatter until the harness swells up and seals from engine heat. At least that's my theory.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
          hence the electrical shenanigans I mention. If the sensor wires are loose in any harness between them and the PCM, it may generate chatter until the harness swells up and seals from engine heat. At least that's my theory.
          I think I'd rather just claim that my truck does 0-85 in 6 seconds. Looks and sounds impressive; even though the butt dyno is sayin "wtf?"

Packman

Comment

to each his own... I prefer accurate gauges.

Comment

Working...
            X