91 Supra non-turbo 5 speed.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

91 Supra non-turbo 5 speed.

As mentioned, my nephews' 1st car. Non turbo '7MGE' 3.0l straight six, 24 valve, five speed, no ABS, with their fancy 'TEMS' adjustable suspension. Dark cherry almost black repaint in fair to almost good condition, power sunroof, 119k or thereabouts, cleanity-cleancleanclean rust wise. That means no rust btw

Runs good, feels tight, firm clutch, good brakes, minor clunk in rearend probably a strut bushing my take. It's RWD with independent rear suspension. All in all an excellent first car, even if I'd prefer domestic as in panther.

I did some research on this as in a lot and ended up suggesting we retorque the head. Apparently the original head gasket was asbestos, when Toyota changed it they missed that the new material needed higher torque to NOT blow out. Factory was 58 ft/lbs, most suggestions were around 72-78.

So we did that (1st time I've ever used a torque wrench), changed most hoses, replaced the valve cover gaskets/grommets/bolts, cleaned and checked out a lot. Turns out you need to pull the throttle body and extension to the intake manifold to change wires and plugs, if I knew that I would've had new wires and plugs As the wires were obviously changed recently I thought that would be a job for another day. Ah well. Had NKG 'R' plugs in it with a weird white corrosion/buildup on the outside of the outer electrode or whatever you call it, the part that bends to gap. Otherwise they looked OK. The gap on all of them was well over .06, should be .044, cleaned and regapped. Also there is a sensor that bolts into the intake manifold, it was filthy, cleaned it up too (anyone know what it is?). Anyway it runs better. Plugs, sensor or both. New wires and plugs soon. The cams were clean. I suspect this car was someones' baby.

There's a valley cover over the spark plugs. It's a fairly strange setup. There are large allen plugs that hold down the cover, that also double as stops for holes into the oil channels between cams. Odd methinks. Then on the bottom of the valley there are more of the same plugs that apparently go into the coolant channels. And they all leak so you get coolant and oil around the plugs. RTV'd the oil plugs but the coolants were too tight for me to use my (too small) standard allen wrench.

Nice feeling when what you do ends up needing done Ran out of time, so the timing belt/water pump change got booted a week or two. Then trans and diff oil.

I hate to admit it but this era of Toyotas were very well built and it does show. It seems like a quality engine. And it is fun to drive.

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Need some pictures! I do like those cars though.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I'll get a couple next time over.

I want to pull back on the panther comment. I realize they're not for everyone. Insane folks that prefer FWD for example

Heck with the parking permit hanging off the 03s' rear mirror it looks like I should be parking in the handicapped spots

I was almost hoping he'd get a 80s g-body coupe.

Pete
      For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
      1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

I like the older imports. Just not all riced out. Need pics!

'93 T-bird
        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
        '88 Mark VII
        '86 CV

Comment

I've always liked that body style. You can't beat a good straight 6 either. Six in a row makes it go.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

Well as mentioned engine go kablooie. Not going to tear into engine to find out why but just change it.

My sis (kids mother) was originally against any kind of upgrade. She wanted to replace it with the original non turbo engine and there are many good arguments to do so, money, time, young driver.

On the other hand, we do have to swap the engine anyway and I expected him to want to do something with the car down the road. Eventually though, not right now. But suddenly my sis is on board with an upgrade.

My nephew immediately latched onto a 1jz swap. Good for him, really! 190ish hp to 280, 190ish ft lbs to 315. Significant.

It appears though that it is a MUCH larger job. Instead of sub $1k it looks more like 3 or more. Plus it's a much higher skill level and while they're out there it will take time to assemble the parts needed. Plus that thing where you really, really hope it starts when you're done. And that young driver thing.

I'm currently leaning toward a 7M-GTE swap, same engine as stock but with a turbo. A bit more power (240 hp iirc), enough to make it quicker, but more like $1500 or less and a more direct swap.

Comments welcome!

Pete

Comment

young driver... turbo lag is the suxx0rz. If the turbo is small enough to not have the lag, then I would OK it. But if it's the type that will kick in after the pedal has been down for a bit, that's a recipe for eating trees and walls with young drivers. I'd stay NA.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The 7mgte stock turbo is fairly small, t25 or t28 I think. Pretty fast spool.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                Big plans

Comment

Ct26 is the stock turbo. Also make sure to retorque the head bolt before the engine install. They had problems with head gaskets, the factory torque specs are to low. I simple torque to 10-15 more ft lbs than spec'd takes care of this.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

Might end up with the stocker NA engine. He'd like to have a running car sometime before summer.

Pete

Comment

wheels are nice to have. having fast, fun wheels is a bonus, but just having working wheels to get from A to B is the main goal me thinks. At least that's why I NEVER griped about the 94 Topaz 2.3L 3-speed auto that my grandparents gave me when I graduated high school... well, until the transmission ate itself and took the engine with it. But until then, it was a pretty good car.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, A car is better than NO car

Looks like I'll be doing a straight swap. Jeez I hate this kind of thing on someone elses' car.

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                          wheels are nice to have. having fast, fun wheels is a bonus, but just having working wheels to get from A to B is the main goal me thinks. At least that's why I NEVER griped about the 94 Topaz 2.3L 3-speed auto that my grandparents gave me when I graduated high school... well, until the transmission ate itself and took the engine with it. But until then, it was a pretty good car.
                          That's precisely the reason why I tolerate my Ranger. It keeps the CV and Putter Project off of the road.

The Supra sounds like my old Malibu, as far as function is concerned. I got the Malibu for a runner. Then I fell in love with the car; now I wish that I had gotten a Ranger or S-10 earlier and parked the Malibu. It might be that way with the Supra eventually.

Packman

Comment

The Chevy s10 has been absolutely bone stock since I bought it. It still rocks the original factory muffler even. I like it, but I don't love it. I fix what needs fixing and maintain it, but I have never had any particular desire to screw around with it more than necessary. Its quite honestly an excellent daily driver. I think everyone needs such a vehicle. The playtoy/project/moneypit should always be the second car.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Well crunch time. 65k mile engine with a 12k rebuilt tranny, private person with a good rep but no warranty, or, a 60k mile engine only but 3 month warranty. Because of the amount of money involved I'm thinking the latter.

Good news, I'm not doing it. They're in a hurry and so will pay. All I'm doing is the updated parts on the donor engine before it goes to the shop, timing belt kit, clutch, oil pump tuneup parts, retorque head etc.

Pete

Comment

Working...
                              X