Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Towncar Redux!

http://www.businessweek.com/articles...ar-alive#r=rss

yup. They just need to build a true Continental again.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      yup. They just need to build a true Continental again.
      +1. I was just thinking about this recently. With the success of the Taurus nameplate, one would think they could capitalize on the same heritage angle with a Continental - on the MKS platform, likely.
      RyPow
      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX sedan - The "Sand Box" - 73K, towing package
      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
      1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited, 102k, daily driver
      2006 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, 115k, winter beats
      1977 Lincoln Continental Town Car, 42k
      2012 F-150 5.0L 4x4, HD payload pkg (towing/hauling)
      2015 Toyota RAV4 XLE AWD (better half's)

Comment

I don't like that luxury car companies are trying to appeal to a younger generation now. I know why they're doing it, but it just irritates me. Mostly cuz I like big old style cars. But it's not just lincoln moving away from "grandpa" cars. Cadillac and Mercedes are doing it too. When you compare a modern cadillac or lincoln commercial to one from 10 years ago you can easily tell its aimed for a completely new audience. I think cadillac is beating lincoln at this as well which I also don't like.

I agree with a redone continental. That'll keep a popular name and because the last continentals weren't all big and outdated looking like the town car (even though I don't think it is), it wouldn't be ridiculous either.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - Currently restoring after she caught fire! CFI to SEFI to Carb swap, all custom wiring, Duraspark 2 ignition, Motorcraft 2100 Carb, slicktop, Shorty headers dumped before rear axle, 140 Speedo, 3G alt, And currently building an engine for her.

2000 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series - 165XXX, PI intake swap , 30 MPG Easy on the Highway, All options except dual exhaust. Currently looking for 2 front seats: Heated, Memory, and Light Graphite color!!

Comment

or a Mark IX

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Lincoln, as a brand, needs to disappear. Unless, they can stop shitting around. Actually, I think both ford and Lincoln need to disappear. Lets face it, their logic will only come back to hurt them. Why would you give up on the livery and fleet market? Plus, they make some pretty shitty vehicles now.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

If TCs were so good as fleet vehicles why'd the kill it instead of selling to that market and doing some slight styling changes. AFAIK thats what GM is doing to the caprice.

If it works why change?

'93 T-bird
              '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
              '88 Mark VII
              '86 CV

Comment

Fuel economy requirements, and they wanted to close the STAP plant. The Panther also didn't share anything with thr current lineup, so I'm sure that factored in as well.
                2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I pickup up somewhere that the refit for new rollover protection regs was not cost justifiable.

Pete
                  For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                  1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                  1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

That blows. I've never been a fan of one of the big 3 killing off a car then bringing it back totally redesigned and/or on a different platform. I know fuel econo y has a huge part in stuff like that but it sucks.

'93 T-bird
                    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                    '88 Mark VII
                    '86 CV

Comment

Originally posted by purplebomb302
                      If TCs were so good as fleet vehicles why'd the kill it instead of selling to that market and doing some slight styling changes. AFAIK thats what GM is doing to the caprice.

If it works why change?
                      Originally posted by Piece-it pete
                      I pickup up somewhere that the refit for new rollover protection regs was not cost justifiable.
                      Pete is correct for one of the points against carrying on the Panther platform. The engineer that took us through STAP in 2011 said that the platform A.) wouldn't meet any of the NHTSA's new impact (front/rear, side) or rollover requirements, B.) the cost of adapting stability control was prohibitive, C.) tough to make it meet new fuel economy standards without extensive body/powertrain redesign, and C.) the trickle-down effects of required changes (new crash standards = new airbags = new steering wheel and dash = dash redesign etc etc) were numerous. It just all added up to not being worth it in their business model.
                      RyPow
                      1987 LTD Crown Victoria LX Tutone Tudor - '96 Explorer 5.0 + 5spd swap in the works
                      1985 Lincoln Town Car Cartier - previously owned by "navguy12" from thelincolnforum.net

Comment

Originally posted by purplebomb302 View Post
                        That blows. I've never been a fan of one of the big 3 killing off a car then bringing it back totally redesigned and/or on a different platform. I know fuel econo y has a huge part in stuff like that but it sucks.
                        Ford isn't even the worst offender...

Aspen:

Aspen??
                        RyPow

Comment

If it works why change?
                          That's the problem they work. They want to sell you a car(fleet car) ever year. Not keep it on the road for 5 years, with 800K miles. Ford does not care about long lasting cars. They want people to buy every year. That's what keeps business going.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                          1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                          1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                          2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                          2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Everyone's absolutely right. But the styling sucks and I know its part of new regulations and safety. As for the aspen, it looks like a T&C on steroids. Absolutely horrible.

'93 T-bird
                            '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
                            '88 Mark VII
                            '86 CV

Comment

Everyone's absolutely right. But the styling sucks and I know its part of new regulations and safety. As for the aspen, it looks like a T&C on steroids. Absolutely horrible.
                              It's a Durango...

Comment

Working...
                              X