Steering Knuckle....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Steering Knuckle....

So, in Spring 2014, I am getting a 1998 Grand Marquis. Currently I am driving a '95. But I was told I need a steering knuckle for the 98. Called my parts guy and he said he cannot find that part for the 98. Question is, can I use a steering knuckle from a newer car? I was told that they are part wise all the same. Please help.

Nikki
    1995 Lincoln Town Car Executive Series: "Albert" my daily driver
    1988 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series: "Don Vito Corleone" my Summer Cruise
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    2004 Grand Marquis LS: "The Boss" with floor shifter (loved it) - R.I.P.
    1997 Crown Victoria: "Victoria, the Armadillo" R.I.P.
    2003 Lincoln Town Car: "Nikkatello" - R.I.P. (Miss you the most)
    1995 Grand Marquis: "Gustavo Gonzales, the dirty Mexican" - R.I.P.

The spindle is the same from 1995-2002. The bearing assembly is 1998-2002. You're probably limited to used or dealership parts on this one though. I don't know that the aftermarket ever made the things. This is not normally a wear item. Was the car in a wreck or something? Thats usually the only reason you'd ever need to replace that.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I agree that having to replace the steering spindle is a bit odd. I would check it out/have it checked out to make sure what it needs before spending on the parts.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

outer bearing goes to hell... heat welds the washer to the spindle... my dad pulled that stunt on an 84 F150. changing that spindle was a PITA.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

These use a sealed hub type, not the individuals like a box. Not impossible to seize but not as common.
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Welcome!

I would try car-part.com if it turns out you need one.

Pete
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              These use a sealed hub type, not the individuals like a box. Not impossible to seize but not as common.
              oh... right. brain fart. so still the question remains... how the hell can the knuckle fail? And was he just blowing smoke and it just needs a bearing?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Are we talking about the steering shaft/ universal where it mates to the steering box?
                I think you guys might have taken this one out of context a bit.
                Or atleast, that's what I'm getting out of the OP's post.
                Concur?

-ryan s.
                08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                Originally posted by pantera77
                Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

that's also what I'm wondering... steering knuckle would mean the part between the ball joints to me. Rag joint/u-joint on steering shaft would be different... everything else would be steering gear related I would think. I'm not one to throw stones about wrong terms as I'm horrible at it most the time, though. I just can't figure out what else would be called a steering knuckle.

Comment

OK, so I just asked my buddy again what part it is we need. He says he doesn't know if it is called a steering knuckle, but it is the part that goes from the column into the steering box. I have no clue what he means and I can't picture it either (drives me nuts, I usually look at the parts on the internet so I can imagine where they go and what they do). He had this car before, sold it to a "friend" who didn't pay him and now he is taking the car back and he is giving it to me. What an amazing friend he is. However, the other dude didn't treat the car good and that is why we need to fix it up first before I can safety it. He says he knows for sure that this part needs replacement....
                    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Oh, that part. OK. There are a couple joints in there. One is a flexible rubber thing commonly called a rag joint, and the other is a metal flex joint that actually looks a whole lot like a universal joint for a socket wrench. Which one do you need? The rag joint is right at the steering box, the universal joint one is under the brake booster. The rag joint you can get a repair kit out of the Help! rack at most auto parts stores to overhaul. The other one, I'm not entirely sure where you'd get that part.

Comment

Ryan, I think you got it, that sounds pretty close to what I was told. And I did find a picture if the suspension and in this picture item # 1 would be the part that they called a knuckle... Click image for larger version

Name:	grand marquis suspension.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	1273407

Comment

that's what we were thinking you meant, but if it's attached to the steering column... you need a totally different part...
                          (images are similar parts and not actual for your car)

rag joint:

u-joint version:

Comment

The u-joint version, that is it. Thank you so much for this. What am I going to ask my parts guy for?

Comment

FYI, your steering knuckle (#1) is also commonly referee to as a spindle.
                              Once I get my laptop out and sit down, I'll respond further.

Sent from my LG-VM696 using Tapatalk 2
                              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                              Originally posted by pantera77
                              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X