'71 & '83 jeep dj5 : the red light bandit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'71 & '83 jeep dj5 : the red light bandit

Well here is the official build thread. My mail jeep gasser/hot rod build. As most of you know from the other thread I've had this idea in my head for awhile now, then I came across these and have the opportunity to build. It will be a little slow going at first.

The name the red light bandit, came from a song that really really makes me think of my grandpa, and this will be a tribute build for my grandpa who passed 6 years ago.

Pictures and plans in the next post, stay tuned

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Well here's a rundown. I have two dj5 mail jeeps. I will take the best part or what I want from both of them to build the red light bandit. Everything that's left over will get put together as a beater/work truck thingy. The good on is the red light bandit, the beater is the flying brick. From this point on will be referred to as the bandit, and the brick. This thread will mostly be about the bandit.

The plan for the bandit is a no bull shit feel with a mild gasser stance. I will be using a 302 my grandpa and myself built together, a faceplated top loader 4 speed, and a built 8.8 with 4.10 gears. That's the basics at the moment.

The 302 is .040 over with speed pro flat top pistons, it's an '80 truck block I think, I also think it has '90 mustang crank and rods in it, ported 289 heads, milled .020 I think, 1.94 intake valves, and 1.60 exhaust, converted to screw in studs, with 1.7 roller rockers, an eldelbrock performer intake on top.

I say I think a lot because I built it 11 years ago and cant remember everything.

That being said I'm going to put it on a stand tear it down check all my tolerances, put all new gaskets in it, fix anything that needs fixin, ill be putting a set of link bar lifters in it and running a roller cam. I need to check and see what timing cover is on it, I would like to run 87-93 mustang accessories. I need a carburetor, distributor, ignition box, coil, water pump, pulleys and accessory brackets, and headers.

That's the basics. I'm going to get it running with that setup and a automatic, once the toploader is finished ill put that in. I plan on switching to a set of aluminum heads and a tunnel ram with dual quads, and building a nice set of big tube fender well exit header.

My grandpa used to have a ford coupe with a 289 and tunnel ram with fender well headers, so that's the reasoning for that setup, and it's just badass lol.

Any questions or thoughts, let me know. Pics next

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
    Big plans

Comment

My photobucket isn't working ill try to get it tomorrow

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
      Big plans

Comment

Can't wait to see the build. I think it's pretty neat to do something like that in memory if your grandfather.

'93 T-bird
        '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
        '88 Mark VII
        '86 CV

Comment

Here's the brick

That's the flying brick, it will be the beater/worker.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
          Big plans

Comment

And here's the bandit, this one is the main project because its the one with a title lol.

Here is some of the stuff that makes me think it used to have a 302 in it

Ford oval

The engine crossmember has been cut out, the motor mounts have been modified, and the axle has been dropped in the middle

Dropped axle tube

100% built from scratch doors, I will be using the original sliding door though

Someone has put a diamond plate floor in it, that will be removed in favor of something lighter, I'm sure there will be a firewall built back here for a fuel cell and battery anyway.

Both of them

That's it for now, I'll keep you updated as I go.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
            Big plans

Comment

Got the carb for the brick torn apart. Going to put it in the dip tomorrow and give it 24 hours, then reassemble and see if I can get that turd iron duke running lol.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

I like the brick better already. It has a microwave and a refrigerator. Something about a vehicle you can store and cook your lunch in appeals to the fat bastard in me.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Lol, I wondered who would notice. My buddy gave them to me and I wasn't home when he dropped them off, so he stuck them in the brick.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                  Big plans

Comment

good times

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Well I've got 3 main pieces to the carb and only one can fit in the dip can at a time, so I guess it's gonna take 3 days oh well. I've gotta get a rebuild kit ordered anyway, I forgot to today.

In bandit news, I'm going up to Columbus Wednesday to get an engine stand off Craigslist for $40. 1000lbs full rotating. So the engine should be going on there soon for tear down and inspection.

Stay tuned.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                      Big plans

Comment

Well got shut down earlier on the title for the brick. I had figured out who it was titled under and got ahold of him. Tried to get him to go to the DMV with me to apply for lost title, offered to pay for everything, even offered $100 just for his time. He just flat out refused to do it. So I guess the brick is officially parts/slow moving vehicle.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                        Big plans

Comment

Originally posted by 1980c10 View Post
                          Well got shut down earlier on the title for the brick. I had figured out who it was titled under and got ahold of him. Tried to get him to go to the DMV with me to apply for lost title, offered to pay for everything, even offered $100 just for his time. He just flat out refused to do it. So I guess the brick is officially parts/slow moving vehicle.
                          Now thats truly frustrating!

Here's the "original" Red Light Bandit lol.............one of my fave PS racers.......

Click image for larger version

Name:	bagshawdusterPS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.6 KB
ID:	1273422
                          Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Well I got the main body of the carb out of the dip, rinsed and brushed off. Now I just need to blow it out with air. 2 more pieces to go.

Didn't turn out to bad

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                            Big plans

Comment

Got the rest of the carb body cleaned

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                              Big plans

Comment

Working...
                              X