Tranny slips? / no forward gear

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tranny slips? / no forward gear

I have a 92 grande marquis and i was having fun in the snow like every other teenager in the world until it seemed like my tranny was slipping? I parked and checked and its reverse gear that works fine but the forward gear only "catches" about once every 5 or 6 seconds and then it just slips again. checked the atf and it was fine. almost seems to go in and out of gear. still slips when put into first and non-overdrive. did i just destroy my transmission or is there a simple fix to this?

I'm not sure if it matters, but is this an AOD or AODE? If it says PRN(OD)D1 it's AOD. If PRND21 (or is it PRN(OD)21?) then it's AODE, iirc.
    Either way the last 2 AODs that have gone out on me were slipping terribly in 1st and 2nd but were just fine in 3rd and 4th, the fix was rebuild or replace. Shifting manually helped until I got it fixed.
    It probably wasn't just the fun in the snow that killed it on its own, I would guess age/mileage were more of a factor. I'm not a trans tech so we'll see what others have to say.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

If it has an AOD, check the TV cable. Look at the throttle body and check if there is a cable that goes back and down behind the engine. When mine fell off it revved high and acted stupid. Also obviously check to make sure the fluid is up.
      1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

It would be an AOD then.
        I dont beleive shifting manually would help in this case. I may have underestimated the slip quite a bit. In first gear i can probably get up to about 5 mph MAX. It doesn't "catch" i guess you could say often enough to gain any speed whatsoever. Almost feels like I have a manual transmission and I let go of the clutch about every few seconds, then I press it again. over and over and over.
        I'm guessing the linkage is fine because of the whole fact that reverse works very well.
        And yeah. the snow may not have been the direct cause but it could have been the straw that broke the camels back. This is the stock tranny and i've got about 142,000 miles on it. It may have been about time to do a rebiuld anyways.

Comment

And the TV cable couldn't be the issue because the reverse gear seems to work completely fine. Would that assumption make sense?

Comment

and yeah fluids are fine.

Comment

Yep, it feels like a clutch being let go because that is most likely what is going on, the clutch for 1st most likely went out. The clutches are a series of rings with a felt-like material between rings, when my dad rebuilt mine the first time the felt-like material was completely gone for 1st & 2nd.
              Also, I should rephrase what I said about shifting manually, it helped but not much.
              T.V. cable crossed my mind, I would still check to make sure it's still connected at the throttle body like HiFiMerc mentioned, it wouldn't hurt to eliminate all the simple stuff before deciding on a rebuild/replacement.

And getting up to speed also took forever when I had this issue, PITA for city driving when I got stopped at every light.
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-27-2013, 07:18 PM.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

City driving, or driving of any kind are not really an option at this point. I had to drive in reverse about a mile just to get home from where i was at.
                So your guess is 1st clutch?
                And yeah make sure its not something stupidly simple before i decide to try to pull apart my transmission. tomorrow morning ill double check the fluids and that TV cable.
                And if i did decide to try and rebuild, is it a more heavy and special equipment job or could it be an at home type of job?
                And all that might not even be worth it. It could be easier to just buy a used transmission altogether?

Comment

I'd still verify the TV cable. I don't know that reverse working has much to do with proving it didn't fall off.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

If it's still attached up top, get underneath and check it there. They fall off there too. Ask me how I know.
                    1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

the TV cable falling off might cause it to slip as the pressure would go to dang near nothing.

This article is for a 5.0L, but the idea should be the same on the throttle body connection. http://www.lincolnsonline.com/tech/00052.html
                      barring that, you probably need a torque converter and/or clutches and maybe a rebuild.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

T.V. cable is still on at both the transmission mount and on the throttle body. I believe its going to need a rebuild of the clutches.

Comment

Yep, forward clutch is not working. rebuild as required
                          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Working...
                          X