Early shifting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Early shifting

Lately my Lincoln has been shifting weirdly. It goes from 1 to 2 at 18mph and then to 3 at 25mph and then to OD at around 38mph. I haven't played around with the TV cable at all and before I parked it three weeks ago it was fine. I also feel like the throttle pedal is closer to the floorboard. I suspect that something might be broken with the cable. With the TV cable unhooked I can move the clevis back and forth a little bit with the tab still locked. I can also see part of the cable exposed right by the throttle bracket (I'll get a picture of it tomorrow)

My question for you guys is if it will harm my trans to drive it to Charlotte (170 miles) and fix it once I get there? The shifts are smooth and there isn't any slippage. I read somewhere that super high or low pressure will kill the trans. So far I have driven 35 miles and the car still drives okay, so I am assuming that the adjustment isn't too off. The clevis does fit back into the grommet with the throttle at a neutral position, there's just a little bit of back and forth play along the throttle cable. What do you guys think?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
    2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
    2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

I assume that's at light throttle? I remember the Mark I had and my GM shifts about the same. But I wanna say it should go into O/D at ~40+. Also, didn't you just have work done on it? It's possible that it may have been mis adjusted. To me, it doesn't seem off by too much.

'93 T-bird
    '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
    '88 Mark VII
    '86 CV

Comment

Correct. Those are the shift points at low throttle. I didn't think to take note of the shift points at 3/4 or WOT. I've been driving a Dodge Stratus for about three weeks so maybe I need to get used to driving my car again! Since the tv adjustment is a little off, I hope it will be fine and not fry the transmission.

Comment

Check to make sure the cable is in good order. Setting the pressure a bit higher wont hurt neither.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

some split vacuum hose to wrap around the thing at the proper set point and small radiator clamp. stays put now dammit.
          Attached Files

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

you can also pull the cable end out away from the plastic and put a zip tie under there to add some more pressure. Sounds like the cable end moved a bit. The rubber hose and clamp fix might be appropriate here. if that cable slides, it can drop the pressure too much and kill the trans.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Is there a good place to source a new cable? or is it a junkyard item?

Comment

If Ford still has any in the system, the dealership is the place. They may be sold out now. If thats the case, used is it.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Also, how will I know if I adjusted the cable too high? I'm going to try the zipties on the end of the cable until I find a new one.

Comment

I've usually used this for my adjustment parameters

http://www.txchange.com/aodadj.htm

basically it should downshift to 2 at 50, but not at 55 if you have it in D. I've never done all that with making marks and whatnot.

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                      Is there a good place to source a new cable? or is it a junkyard item?
                      I used an old mustang TV cable on my my car when mine broke because I couldn't source a new one, or any luck at the junk yards by me. My friend had a older mustang TV cable laying around his garage so we used that. It's about twice as long but the end connectors are right. As long as you don't kink the cable anywhere it should move smoothly in the sleeve it should be fine. I haven't had any issues with mine yet and it's been a few months. I've been keeping my eyes peeled for the correct one for a while now just in case though.

Just thinking that might be a worth while short term option if there's none available by you either.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

I adjust it to feel... it shifts when I want it to... it's good. If it hangs onto first too long... it's too tight. When I got the light throttle shifts to be just a touch firm, WOT was spot on where I wanted it.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yup, there is a "proper" setting but that always seems a bit soft for me. I always put a little tension on it and lock it down. My mark vii shifts into overdrive between 45-50 usually. The earliest it will go into OD is 40 but I have to let completely off the gas for that.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
                          Big plans

Comment

With the settings I have right now, do you think it will be alright for a 175 mile drive (all highway) until I can get it fixed?

Comment

I'd stick a thin zip tie in there to give it some more pressure. It would really suck to go 160 miles before the overdrive band says FU.

Comment

Working...
                              X