Rear compartment light?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rear compartment light?

Is there supposed to be a light in the rear compartment on the drivers side? If not, I'd like to add a glovebox like light so that I can see what I'm doing in there when I open it.
    I just need to know what I'll need to get to make it work, I can put a switch if there isn't one so it will come on when the door is opened but it'd be great if I just needed bulbs or adapters to add a strip of LEDs.
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

None of mine have had a light there. The led strip idea sounds cool. I suppose you could use something like a glove box switch.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Same here, my 88 and my mom's 87 did not have a light in the rear compartment.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Lemme see if I can harvest a glove box switch and get to work.

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I think it may have been part of an optional lighting group package. My '87 GM has it!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
            I think it may have been part of an optional lighting group package. My '87 GM has it!
            87 Wagon?
            He's talking about the glovebox-like compartment in the far back, drivers side of a wagon.
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Mine is not a wagon. I was talking about the trunk light. Two different things, I think. My error....

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                Mine is not a wagon. I was talking about the trunk light. Two different things, I think. My error....
                It's all good, I knew what you meant, I just wanted to clarify for the OP.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I know mine doesn't have one. I wish I did.
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
                  91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
                  93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
                  Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
                  Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
                  95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Wagon's have no lights in there. I think it would be slick to retro fit a second dome light there (the same one with the push button in the back of a wagon)
                    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

The rear lights from a whale would make a nice addition too.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I got some LED strips from ebay and a glovebox latch from a car at the junkyard with the plug.
                        I will be putting a light in the compartment and one by the spare, both will be activated by the latch in the compartment.

Comment

Cool, let us know how it turns out....

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

This is another one of those "it should have come like this" mods.
                            I asked to see if this had been an option on some forums and it wasn't so I got to work. I picked up a glovebox latch when I went to the junkyard, it's mounted the same as the latch for the side storage box in a wagon so it's a simple swap as far as the latch goes.

I ran power and ground from the overhead light in the trunk.

Ran that and some extra wire(you'll see why in a bit) through a hole that I drilled in the top of the storage box and mounted an LED strip right in the middle. I used a 194 plug in connector to hook that into the latch.

Now there is a REALLY bright light in the box that is activated by just opening it and it's always hot so you can see what's in there whether the car is running or not and it doesn't need the tailgate open.

View from the bottom

Now, I mentioned some extra wire earlier. Here is where that goes.

Now if I have to change a tire in the dark, I'm sure to be able to see very well.

Comment

Nice Tom. Silly they did not come with that to begin with. Nice easy swap!
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X