'89 speaker wireing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'89 speaker wireing

I recently bought an '89 and pulled the radio/cassette player to upgrade with an aftermarket CD player/receiver. The color codes going to the speakers are very different from what the schematics show, when i try to read out the speakers the ohm readings indicate shorts between everything and i cannot get the speakers to work proper. I pulled the drivers door panel to look at that speaker and it has a different color code as yet - although simliar to the schematics. It is as if there is another device between the speakers and the harness going to the original radio/cassette.
    The sticker on the door says this Grand Marque was made in Canada, if that makes any difference.
    I want to get to the original speaker wires, where will i find them?
    Thanks oj

If it is a "Premium System" it also has a factory amp and that may be throwing you off. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

What schematics?
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Are the connectors behind the radio both rectangles or is one square? If the latter you need the premium sound harness and Amp Bypass Cable for the amp (which is located in the passenger side trunk area on the rear seat back frame). This will make it super easy with no cutting of the factory harness.

Checkout Crutchfield's website, they will spell it out for you once you enter the year, make and model of your car.
        2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
        2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
        Past Panthers
        1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
        if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

I want to say the one with the squarish plug is the high level premium sound. I had the regular premium sound in my 90, and it had the two rectangle shaped connectors in it. The radio from that one, fits in my 92 and my dads 91. Both of those have the basic sound system.
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

smallish square plug is the better premium sound. You can retain that amp and drive it with an adapter that connects to the RCA jacks on the new stereo. Or you can use the bypass harness and take it out of service. Two long rectangles could be either non-premium or the older style premium sound with the "football" amp and the goofy common ground stuff. The common ground you can't really do much with, and the only practical fix is wiring straight to the speakers.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              smallish square plug is the better premium sound. You can retain that amp and drive it with an adapter that connects to the RCA jacks on the new stereo. Or you can use the bypass harness and take it out of service. Two long rectangles could be either non-premium or the older style premium sound with the "football" amp and the goofy common ground stuff. The common ground you can't really do much with, and the only practical fix is wiring straight to the speakers.
              It has a commonground - the speakers wires were not paired at all. There were 2 rectangular connectors, one had what i think is speaker wires. The other had power wires etc. I paired the speakers wires as they came off the connector (i cut it loose) and nothing worked. I started removing wires and a couple speakers worked on what i took to be ground only - black w/white tracer. the grounds were run seperate from the other wires in the harness, they were added on in a group of three, the rest of the wires were cabled together in a twisted fashion an dthe colorcodes are different from schematics i found online. I downloaded 4 or 5 schematics including the connectors etc.
              So i have to go to the trunk? I guess these wires go there and i can bypass the amp back there - i have cut off the factory connectors - so i can splice thru without running new wires? Daggone, best i invest in the factory manual.
              Where abouts in the trunk is this amplifier? Are there 8 wires running from the factory radio to the trunk amp? So i can wire thru for the speakers without running new wires or will i have run wires for front speakers and repurpose 2 pair going back there?
              What do you guys suggest? thanks, oj

Comment

89 should not be common ground. It also should not have an amp with two rectangle plugs behind the radio

Its a shame you cut off the plugs. There are interface harnesses available at most auto parts stores or even Walmart so you don't have to cut everything and just match color for color with your new head unit

Like I mentioned before the amp is on the passenger side of the trunk bolted to the back of the rear seat. (In other words to the right of the spare tire). I doubt you will see one since you don't have the square plug behind the radio. The football shaped, common ground amp went away in 1987IIRC.
                Last edited by tjc78; 01-04-2014, 06:29 PM.
                2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                Past Panthers
                1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Comment

I thought 89 was common ground. Could be wrong though as it has been a while since I looked. Though maybe that is only the premium sound and basic sound. There was a higher level available.

Best idea you had was the factory service and electrical manuals. It will help with the whole car.

Was the radio oem? Post pics front & back.
                  03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                  02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                  08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                  12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I know the square plug premium sound isn't common ground. I thought 87 was the last year of common ground, but according to the OP I may be wrong.
                    Past Panthers

Comment

My 90 was a common ground. Ran all new wiring when an aftermarket head unit was installed.
                      1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I did this last Saturday and the radio/connectors are long gone. I also replaced the valve cover gaskets, between them and the factory wireing i can claim temporary poor judgement when i actuelly cleaned up and threw out the trash. it won't happen again.
                        I want to thank you guys for the terrific help. I'll be able to work on the car tomorrow and have a looksee into the trunk and we'll go from there. I checked ebay and there are some good authentic looking electrical manuals - are there any i should avoid?
                        thanks again, oj

Comment

Its partially common ground. The feed to the amp uses 3 wires per channel, a left +, right + and - for both the front and rear, for a total of 6 wires. The output side of the amp has the normal 8 wires, 2 per speaker. Theres no practical way to bridge these, so you're sort of left with running new wires to the speakers.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Interesting. Another cost saving measure maybe. You get rid of those two extra wires in every car that comes with premium sound, and it adds up.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              Its partially common ground. The feed to the amp uses 3 wires per channel, a left +, right + and - for both the front and rear, for a total of 6 wires. The output side of the amp has the normal 8 wires, 2 per speaker. Theres no practical way to bridge these, so you're sort of left with running new wires to the speakers.
                              That explains a lot, i could read more than a single speaker on each ground and could not identify left or right. At least one of them had a direct short to ground because the original radio didn't work right when i bought the car. The only speaker i have replaced so far is in the drivers' door. I have the car in the shop now and will get into it later, i plan to locate the remote amp (assuming it has one) and ring out at least 2 pair of wires to connect for the rear speakers and i'll have to dig into the front harness' for the door speakers and extend them to the new CD player.
                              All's good, I have a game plan!

Comment

Working...
                              X