Two door merc p71 hot rod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two door merc p71 hot rod

Lets get the skeletons out of the closet now. I crashed both my 85 police vic and my 83 two door merc.
    Hopefully my redemption will be putting everything into the merc. I do have some questions.

Im building the 351w out the vic its bored .30 over now. Picking up some gt40 heads to put on it hopefully valve springs and roller rockers.
    question one what would be a good cam for the interstate which is where i drive a lot of the time. A friend suggested a thumper cam if so what duration.
    The intake is a edelbrock preformer toped with a holly 670. The three g swap is already done and it has an hei distributor.

Exhuast is as follows: factory fox cobra headers, a bbk h pipe, flowmaster supper 44s, and custom tips. no questions here.

Swaped the rear ends. Police drums with 3.55s. Question two can i swap disc breaks onto the housing or do i need a new rear end.

The police tranny is being reused.

Question three what year of police car do i need to do the big break front swap.

You do not need a new housing. You will just need to acquire the proper disc brake backing plates and you can bolt them onto your rear end. You will need to remove the axles to do so. Also some modification will be needed in order to use the caliper backing plate supports. I don;t know if it is entirely necessary to use them but I did.

Start looking through my thread starting here for some pics on the matter. http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post709412

Big brakes are not associated with police cars, at least in the way we discuss them on the boards here.

This is what we call big brakes:

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post377308
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

from what I've read on this forum, the HO cam is actually pretty good for a basic cruiser. The 92? T-Bird cam is supposed to be the cobra cam and can be better for these boats though. It has GT stamped in the cam I think. Of course, it's always better to talk to a cam maker and tell them the entire setup and purpose to get the best cam for your rig and desired outcome.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

well a small update took the pistons in to be pressed on and the machine shop was nice enough to set the rings up for free

Comment

thumpr's are designed for sound, I'd avoid them. HO cam isn't bad. If you don't plan on going roller, the cam they came with from the factory is actually pretty good mild performance cam. Same lift as an HO (.444) and 208 intake 219 exhaust duration @ 0.50.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
          160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
          waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

What does it take to make my block a roller.
            Update the crank and pistons are in
            No pictures because I'm not great with technology and cant figure out how to do it on my phone
            Last edited by 351PoliceVic; 02-02-2014, 03:26 AM.

Comment

Link bar lifters to use off the shelf hydraulic roller or craptastic small base circle retro-fit cam.............
              Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

COMP Cams 35-246-3 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Camshafts this is the cam im thinking of running with either 2000 stall or a 2400. Has anyone used one of these cams before. I was going to go full a full hydraulic roller but decided to just go with a good cam and roller rockers.

Comment

Has alot of duration just looking at the numbers but should run good with a stall/gear.........make sure you use the BREAK-IN lube or that cam will be toast on start-up........also going to need new lifters and springs if you havent budgeted that in.........

Comment

roller rockers, valve springs, are in the budget. Im getting the cam through summit and they sell it with lifters. i had to get a new debit card so im just waiting on the bank to get it to me so i can order it.

Comment

Im going with COMP Cams CL35-246-3 - COMP Cams Xtreme Energy Cam and Lifter Kits. What stall converter should i go with i was thinking a 2000 but a buddy wants me to go with a 2400. Is it worth it does it change the driveabilty. Im currently running 355s out back.

Comment

I'm picking up some gt40 heads this weekend. Should I go with 1.6 roller rockers or 1.7s. I'm not sure because of the size of my cam. I'm getting the trick flow spring kit also what spring pressure should I go with

Comment

For a stock HO cam, 1.6 is safe. 1.7 if you have pistons with valve reliefs in them. For other cams... if the lift and duration are higher than an HO stick, I would go with 1.6. Rumor has it that there are ways to figure clearance, but I dunno those.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Ok thank you. Looks like I'll order the 1.6s

Comment

I would go with the 2400 stall......also get the springs that recommended for the kit per comp cams......

Comment

Working...
                              X