Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggested torque converter for my 87 HO Crown Vic?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggested torque converter for my 87 HO Crown Vic?

Since the engine will be coming out and a nice new rebuilt short block will be going in its place with a TFS top end kit installed on it I figured I may as well pop on a new torque converter.Based on some quick research I believe we use from the factory "lock up" type converters. I will stay with that. Just looking on suggestions as to size and where to purchase. Links highly appreciated. This will be going on my 5.0 ca with AOD transmission.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

for a similar application, I've settled on just finding the highest-stalling name-brand lockup converter, since that seems to be 2500-2800 stall. Minimal fuel economy loss but plenty of added power in first and second.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

i had "B&M Tork Master Torque Converters 40438" of theses in an 86 mark vii with a 351 and a 4.10, it was a lot of fun to beat on .
      1985 LTD Country Squire on Jackstands
      1987 Mark VII xpipe, mac mufflers, 125 shot
      2006 Grand Marquis ls 47k miles

Comment

My left foot is my torque convertor

I have a 2400 still lockup convertor in my WR AOD. It seems to be a pretty popular choice. Personally, I'd like to go higher, but a good TC cost good money.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-40438/overview/ Not sure if it's this one of not, but I believe it is.
        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

I have a b&m 3000 holeshot N/L in my aod mustang daily driver and really like it..........mileage? uuhh who cares.........if youre modding a 5.0 and still worrying about mileage you've got your wires crossed lol.........my point is i'm a big fan of non-locks in N/A apps........poweradder? lock it up homes but to each his own and any "off the shelf" stall will obviously be affected by your combo....case in point i get about 21/2200 stall at the track on the footbrake.........and around 300 extra rpm over the stocker cruising around.............my buddy has a P.I. stallion and gets about the same stall but he has a stock cam but same basic combo as mine.........

Dirty Dog, Edge, P.I., B&M..........are the ones me or my friends have used (off the shelf models) and they have all performed about the same and have all got plenty of miles/passes on them..........
          Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Now non lock ups require changing out input shafts right?
            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I'd go with one that will flash to 3k with your combo. Good for performance and you'll never even notice it under normal driving.

'90 LX 5.0 mustang
              Big plans

Comment

I was thinking of going with a TCI-433200 converter for my engine swap. I know I should get a custom converter from Dirty Dog, but for now, I will go with that one.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                  Now non lock ups require changing out input shafts right?
                  ive never heard of that, i had a 4500 non lock up in a small block c6 with a stock (should have been) input shaft and i had no issues..
                  1985 LTD Country Squire on Jackstands
                  1987 Mark VII xpipe, mac mufflers, 125 shot
                  2006 Grand Marquis ls 47k miles

Comment

Anyone else know about this lock up versus non lock up and input shafts?
                    ~David~

Comment

I'm pretty sure that non-lockup converters need a one piece input shaft for an AOD since the lockup is actually a function of the transmission (sort of since the TC is what passes the engine output to the inner shaft is technically is part of it) and not the torque converter.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I believe sly is right. My AOD has a non lock up and one piece shaft.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
                        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
                        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
                        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
                        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

There are AOD one shaft and two shaft. You usually will need to know what you have before you buy a converter. Also I work for a company that makes converters and yes we do race converters too. We are called Ph.D converter based out of Dearborn MI and can pretty much manufacture anything. You can pm me for details if you're feeling interested.
                          1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
                          1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Yes on the one piece shaft/NL.....at least as far as i know, i've got the hardened one...........any stall over stock is an upgrade lock or nonlock
                            Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Thanks guys.
                              ~David~

Comment

Working...
                              X