High Mileage Jmod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

High Mileage Jmod

Hello everybody I've been thinking about jmodding my tc but im afraid the mileage is to high. It has 170xxx miles so im afraid its never been open and Ive heard that if I do the jmod and fluid/filter it will cause slippage should I be worried or not? Thanks!!

I wouldn't do it, the harsher shifts from a J-mod would probably destroy it with that high of mileage. If the fluid is original, I'd be leery of even changing that.

Comment

what year town car?
      2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
      89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
      88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by Louis View Post
        I wouldn't do it, the harsher shifts from a J-mod would probably destroy it with that high of mileage. If the fluid is original, I'd be leery of even changing that.
        Shift harshness doesn't change a bit if you don't change the springs. I know firsthand.
        1985 2 door LTD 127k miles, Dodge Charger 18" police wheels.
        2003 P71, 100k, 5.4L engine, eaton m112, other stuff.
        Sold: 2003 P71, 2002 P71, 1996 Town Car

Comment

though, if you rebuild it (soft parts) and do the j-mod and refill with mercV and put a smaller diameter torque converter on it (no more than 3000 stall... probably more around 2600 for stall)... it'll probably last forever behind the stock or even mildly modded engine.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
            though, if you rebuild it (soft parts) and do the j-mod and refill with mercV and put a smaller diameter torque converter on it (no more than 3000 stall... probably more around 2600 for stall)... it'll probably last forever behind the stock or even mildly modded engine.
            That's the key, better to rebuild it along with the drilling/springs for the J mod.

Comment

I did the only separator plate on my 93 at 155k.It's a decent shift, but nothing like snappy shifts from a full J-Mod. The Tank's still going strong at 221k.

-ryan s.
              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
              Originally posted by pantera77
              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I'd be real tempted to say leave it alone unless you have spare funds for an "oh shit" moment.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by 1988mgm View Post
                  Hello everybody I've been thinking about jmodding my tc but im afraid the mileage is to high. It has 170xxx miles so im afraid its never been open and Ive heard that if I do the jmod and fluid/filter it will cause slippage should I be worried or not? Thanks!!
                  What year town car?

I have done the Jmod on several trucks with excess of 200k, no issues.

If this a 96-97 car, you will need to drill the holes differently, since it doesn't have a mechanical diode one way clutch.

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    I'd be real tempted to say leave it alone unless you have spare funds for an "oh shit" moment.
                    especially this.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

It is 1996 im sorry for not putting up there

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	JMOD1.JPG
Views:	2
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	1273759 Click image for larger version

Name:	slot_1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1273760

** THIS APPLIES to 96-97 Transmissions ONLY ***

Drill hole #1 to .160" this is a #20 drill bit

Drill Hole #2 to .081" (#46 drill bit) for a mild shift, or .093" (3/32 drill bit) for a firmer shift

Drill hole #3 to .180" if not already that large this a #15 drill - you can use a 11/64" drill bit in a pinch (.1719")

Drill hole #4 and #5 to .081" - you can use a 5/64" in a pinch (.078") It is not recommended you make these holes any larger than .081".

Drill hole #6 to .125" - 1/8" drill bit

Hole #7 is completely optional - I typically do not drill this hole.

hole #8 should not apply to your year model.

Drill hole #9 and #11 to .110" - 7/64 drill bit.

hole #10 is completely optional, I usually drill to .093" - 3/32 drill bit.

While you have the Valve body off, this is good time to update the 1-2 and 2-3 accumulator pistons with the new style bonded rubber units.

I also highly recommend replacing the pressure regulator valve with the Sonnax replacement valve and pressure spring. These valves are notorious for wearing, which will cause low line pressure.

http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2398

For Note #4, there is a slot in the gasket next to a hole, this is slot 1. use a razor blade or xacto knife and make this slot wider, open it up to .100"
                        what I do is lay a 3/32" drill bit down and use it as a guide, then score the lines in the gasket material with the razor blade, then make the cuts and remove the extra gasket material

Refill with 10qts for mercon V fluid and should shift great.

BTW, I do NOT recommend removing any of the accumulator springs. doing so makes the shifting harsh and if the line pressure is low from other worn parts the shifts will be erratic.
                        Last edited by 88grandmarq; 02-19-2014, 01:09 PM. Reason: updated information

Comment

so want to do this on the vic... but I'll probably wait until I do some other crazy mods and really need that firm shift... and when it's not my wife's DD.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                            so want to do this on the vic... but I'll probably wait until I do some other crazy mods and really need that firm shift... and when it's not my wife's DD.
                            on your 93? is the transmission original?

Comment

yeah... it's still the AODE... but it's got a 24-2800 stall converter on it and a rebuild at 106K miles. over 210K now.

Comment

Working...
                              X