AOD Upgrades?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD Upgrades?

When building an AOD up to handle more power, what mods are done to acheive those goals? I would say from the 300-500hp range?

Packman

simple HD OD band and A solenoid and a shift kit should allow up to 400HP/TQ according to the guys that rebuilt mine. For more, you'll need the one piece input shaft, non-lockup TC, and a larger cooler. I don't think the gears need to be replaced until you broach 650+, but I could be mistaken on that one. Of course, valve body upgrades may be required at any point anyhow.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks SLY! I'm sure I won't be the one rebuilding the AOD, but I would like to figure out what's done so I know what to ask the person(s) who will end up rebuilding the AOD. I thought I read somewhere that parts from a 4R70W are swapped over to achieve those goals. I will do a search on that as well.

Packman

Comment

I found this site the other day. They have some good info on the AOD.

http://www.becontrols.com

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
        Using Tapatalk

Comment

to get the wide ratio, you swap the gears from the 4r70w over. the stock gears should handle 400 no problem. the weak link is the two piece input shaft. Also, 89+ AOD is the better core to build in to get better power handling. The casing is a little beefier.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Recalibrated valve body with electronic OD lockout is always good to. Thats what I have in mine.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
            1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
            1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
            2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
            2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Is there any difference switching from cast iron to stamped steel drums? Most AODs use the cast iron up until roughly 90 but all AODE/4R70/75 will use the stamped steel. Not sure what difference it makes. I know the rear planetary is stronger in the late style as opposed to the AOD. I would also assume racing frictions and steels for the forward, intermediate, and direct clutch wouldn't be a bad idea if you're already in there beefing things up.
              1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
              1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

The link I posted in #4 has a good write up on the AOD and the differences.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
                Using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                X