AOD trouble

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD trouble

Was driving the son's 89 Grand Marquis with 67k (yes, 67K) miles. Over the last 2.5 yrs and 20K miles, the AOD has been just like it should be, with light throttle 1-2 shift around 12 mph, 2-3 shift around 20 and into OD around 40. A little soon for my tastes, but always very consistent.

Thurday, started just like usual on the 1 mile trip to work. Then, during a mid-day trip, about the time it warmed up it began slipping while in OD. I thought at first that it had jumped into neutral, and shifted into N then back to OD. No more slipping, but now shifts were coming later and more random. A fluid check showed level good, but fluid just starting to smell a little off.

Took to mechanic who did a fluid flush. I know about the TV cable issues, but he confirmed that the TV cable looked just as it should. Now, light throttle shifts are all later with 1-2 coming at 17-20, 2-3 around 25-27 and OD not before 45. Also, the 2-3 shift is very smooth and gradual, more like on the electronic trannys on my 93 Crown Vic and the 94 Club Wagon I used to own. A little more driving after the fluid change had it slip during OD again a time or two, and an instance or two of a 1-2 shift that is really 1-2-1-2 before 2nd takes hold.

I know that this is not right, but am torn on whether it needs to be driven more to run the clean fluid all through things, or to park it. Unless some of you have any advice, I think I am about to try a tranny shop to take a look at it. Any ideas? If it matters, the first 22 years of its life, the car only got 47K miles put on it, so lots of sitting between startups over many years. I recall checking and smelling fluid when we got it, and all seemed fine. Also, the kid drives very conservatively (you would not believe the gas mileage he has eked out of the thing) and much of its recent miles have been on flat interstates. Thoughts?

BTW, total miles driven since first symptoms is no more than 50.

Comment

Tranny problems almost never fix themselves, and if slippage is already happening a flush rarely fixes it.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I've always been extremely leery of those fluid flushes, mostly because you don't know whats in the pan. There is a filter in there that can clog up, but more importantly you'll potentially find "presents" in the pan that can tell you a lot. Personally I'd drop the pan and see what there is to find. Change the filter while you're in there and hope for the best, but I wouldn't anticipate miracles.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

sounds like a rebuild is in order for the OD band. Upgrading that and the OD solenoid to the HD spec would be a good idea too.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

When a trans starts to slip almost always a flush makes it worse. A flush won't hurt it unless theres already a problem with it already.

'93 T-bird
            '03 Silverado ECSB

Missed:
            '88 Mark VII
            '86 CV

Comment

More than likely OD band is fried or glazed but there could be a problem with the servo that applies the band as well, I believe you can see it when you pull the pan. The the frictions and the sprag for the intermediate like to go bad and that could be the 2nd gear issue. Although who really knows without yanking the unit and tearing it down
              1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
              1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Working...
              X