The Other AOD's

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Other AOD's

Has anybody here swapped in an AOD from another vehicle? Like a Mustang, Thunderbird, or F-150? If so, how much hassle was it to get it working? I went to a JY in central Jersey that claimed to have AOD's (from MGM and CV according to car-part.com) lying around. When I went there, all they had was Mustang, F-150, and 1 Thunderbird AOD. Since I didn't take any measurements of the CV AOD (because I expected to find a box AOD), I left and said that I would think about it. Thought I would get your input before I break out the tape measure and such.

Packman

I'm pretty sure the mustang is direct swap with a slightly different stall speed torque converter, you can't use Lincolns because of a longer tailshaft, and I don't know about the truck ones.

You want a mustang if no cv or gm available but there's no easy way short of dropping the pan and looking for excess clutch material to know if it's had the fuck beat out of it.

You will need to change the shifter lever/arm over from your cv/gm or have it welded on so that the gear selector/shift cable routing works as it's supposed to.
    Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
    Last edited by sxcpotatoes; 03-10-2014, 09:09 AM.
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Iirc, you will need to swap the shift lever.
      That is all.

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Comment

Thanks. Mitymerc commented while I was editing the shift lever portion of my post in.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
        Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

you can swap them all day long as long as it's not a lincoln, as long as you swap the shift linkage.
          1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
          1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Yeah, I'm just buying a core to rebuild. It doesn't need to be running. Shift lever mod? What would need to be changed? Worse case, I could get a B&M Quicksilver shifter. This is my 1st time doing this kind of job, so yeah.....nOOb.

BTW, thanks for the quick responses, My keyboard didn't even get a chance to cool down.

Packman

Comment

The full size truck ones are hit and miss to, according to other forums/sources. Stick with units that are from a ford or mercury, unless you have a lincoln. The shift lever on the trans, has to be swapped out be cause, it faces the opposite way. Very easy to do. Running the HO converter is not a big deal either.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
                The full size truck ones are hit and miss to, according to other forums/sources. Stick with units that are from a ford or mercury, unless you have a lincoln. The shift lever on the trans, has to be swapped out be cause, it faces the opposite way. Very easy to do. Running the HO converter is not a big deal either.
                Okay, so basically swap the Panther shift lever over to the other AOD; which would be what I'd end up doing when I swap the trans. Torque converter is coming out and replaced with either a TCI unit (I believe it's a street fighter with a 3,000 stall) or perhaps a Dirty Dog; we'll see.

And yeah, that's what the kid was saying about the T-bird AOD; it's either fits or it needs a little driveshaft work.

Packman

Comment

Its a length thing. Take a tape measure and check the one in your car from bellhouse to tailshaft. Get one thats the same. It'll either be the same, or 2 inches longer. The side levers are easy to swap.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine measured out to 31-1/2" from bellhousing to tailshaft. I will return within the next 2 weeks to see what they got.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                    X