4R75 build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

4R75 build

CVN member lost 3rd and 4th on the transmission in his 2005 CVPI. He pulled transmission and brought to me for a rebuild.

First thing that I noticed, the front pump seal had been "glued" in place with RTV/silicone. During tear down I found all of the front pump to case bolts were loose, 2 were finger tight. Basically, the transmission had been rebuilt previously and they did a crappy job. The direct clutches were worn and there was excessive clearance, the OD band was glazed and starting to burn. The intermediate clutches were glazed and the steel plates were severely hot spotted. The previous rebuilder used the old style, scarf cut sealing rings on on the output shaft that seal the direct clutch. These seals are sufficient for a short time, when they are new, but as they get hot they collapse, don't seal well anymore and you loose pressure to the direct clutch. The one piece teflon seals work much better and don't collapse over time.

The direct clutches were severely worn/deteriorated. These clutches appear to have been some off brand, aftermarket clutches, that I had never seen before. They had an unusual horizontal pattern, where most OEM/raysbestos/borgwarner clutches have a vertical pattern.
    The direct steel plates also had an unusual wear pattern, which I had not seen before.

The intermediate clutches were glazed and the steel plates were hot spotted. It's difficult to see in the pictures I took, but they were regular tan paper clutches that have been discolored,
    I believe these were Alto red clutches. The problem with smooth clutches is they hydroplane on the fluid and will glaze quickly. The factory clutches are made of carbon material and have grooves to displace the fluid and eliminate the hydroplaning.

A full rebuild was done;
    New rubber seals, gaskets, O-rings and Teflon seals.

New Raysbestos clutches, correct material and proper waffling for fluid displacement which prevents glazing.

Lubrication improvements to Direct drum and front stator support. This allows better fluid flow to critical areas for better lubrication and cooling.

New Overdrive band. Updated band with High carbon material that resists wear. Installed Sonnax Overdrive servo pin with o-rings for better sealing - http://www.sonnax.com/parts/2379

Rebuild Valve body with Sonnax replacement valves and performed Jmod
    Last edited by 88grandmarq; 03-13-2014, 12:48 PM.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Here is the upgraded black carbon band 7L3Z-7F196-A

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

mmm mmm mmm toasty

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Good ol' roast de la slush box! lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

There's always one guy that wants to save every nickel and dime they can on chinese parts.
          1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
          1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

I haven't come across any transmission kits or parts that specifically say "made in China", but who knows.

as with anything, poor quality parts and sloppy workmanship, it won't last long.

Comment

Wasn't there a story out, on how there was a recent flood of china parts in the use, with the ford stamp on them? I think it was the New York taxi and limo commission, that was commenting on the issue. I guess people were concerned about the safety of the cabs. So, china parts may be possible.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
              1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
              1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
              2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
              2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

I'm not sure, but Ford uses Exedy for the OE clutches. Used to use Borg Warner. Those look cheap.
                1987 Grand Marquis LS (GONE!)
                1990 Grand Marquis GS

I like to go fast

Comment

Working...
                X