I tried getting the door panel off...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I tried getting the door panel off...

I have an 07 and I need to get the drivers side door panel off to get the keypad code that unlocks the door. I only saw three screws, one on the side and two on the bottom and took them out but the door panel won't budge. Am I missing a screw somewhere?

I checked the trunk and there isn't a code in there, like there is on some Panthers.

You'll find a screw under the power window/lock switches.
    And another behind the inside door handle. You should see the small cover for it right in the center.
    Be careful removing the switch plate, if the clips break you'll need a new one. Pop it up in the front, by the mirror control.
    And pull it forward and off, don't pull straight up on it or you'll snap off the small lip that holds it down at the other (back) end.
    Then unplug the power window/lock/mirror and set the switch plate aside.
    To remove the door panel, pull it up and off. If you pull it straight off you'll break the plastic hooks that hold it on the door.
    The 07 probably has both screws, the one under the switch plate and one at the door handle, it will have at least one of them.
    Even if it doesn't have the screw at the door handle you'll probably still need to pop this trim off.
    Don't force anything, this door stuff breaks off very easily.
    Last edited by mcninetyone; 03-18-2014, 01:13 AM.

Comment

Man, when I get home, I need to make a Youtube tutorial video on this. It would probably help a bit.

-ryan s.
      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
      Originally posted by pantera77
      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Now I'm afraid to try. LOL.

I found a Youtube video of someone removing the door panel on an older GM, but not a newer one. I would definitely watch one for the newer cars.

My local Ford dealer wants $46 to use their computer to figure it out, but it seems like a waste of money when the door panel comes off for free.

Comment

I see the screw plate behind the door handle now and didn't realize I needed to lift up the panel with the switches. It will probably be this weekend before I have the time to fool with it again, but thanks for the info.

Comment

I've pulled the door panels off a lot of panthers, box, aero and whales. The whales are much easier to remove!
            The switch panel is held on by clips and it will pry off.
            You just have to be careful.

Comment

I made a mistake, got my panthers mixed up!
              Anyone doing this should not try to remove the trim behind the inside door handle as I suggested above.
              The door handle and trim are one unit and are held on by some VERY FLIMSY clips which break if you don't know how to get at them.
              You do have to remove the screw at the door handle, but you don't have to remove the door handle and trim to remove the door panel.
              The door panel comes off with the door handle and trim still attached.

Comment

First you have to buy it dinner...
                Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

LOL. I'm gonna work on it this weekend. Thank you everyone for the input.

Comment

Well I got it off, and it was a bitch to put back on, but I don't see the code anywhere. I took pictures of eveything behind and on the door panel and tried some of the random numbers but none of them work. Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010429.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	1273902Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010430.jpg
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	1273903Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010431.jpg
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	1273904Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010432.jpg
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	1273905

Comment

That is super odd, my 04 had the 5 digit code right on top of that module.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Wow. That's fucking odd.

-ryan s.
                        08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                        03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                        97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                        94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                        73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                        12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                        Originally posted by pantera77
                        Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

well this sucks. I don't want to pay a stealership for five minutes worth of work. I checked he trunk and owners manual and anything else I could think of, so I may not have a choice.

Comment

Before you try anything else, look up in and behind the glove box. (do they drop down easy?) When the cars were new ford provided stickers with the numbers. The owner or the dealer could stick them wherever they wanted. As mentioned earlier the deck support arm was a popular location and up and in or behind the glove was also popular. Or nobody stuck them anywhere.

IIRC and I am not sure I do, ford stopped putting the info on the module in 08 or before. I ran into this with the 08 Escape I rebuilt for my wife but that was almost 4 years ago now so I forget.

Failing this, cvn might be a better source on this particular question.
                            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I figured someone took it off, but it just may be that Ford just quit putting them on there. Mine is an 07.

Nothing in the glove box, but thank you for the suggestion. I started snooping around under the dash and found out I have a power port below the cup/holder thingy. I'd been using the cig lighter, so that's something good to come from this.

I'm gonna register at CrownVic.net, if that's what you were referring to and a Canadian forum I'm on as well. Maybe someone will know.

Comment

Working...
                              X