Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engine swap options?

Hello everyone!

Unfortunately my 92' Grand Marquis(Boatmobile) is having some heart problems and is currently "dead" for the moment. I beleive its a blown head gasket. My engine created a rather large cloud of white smoke and leaked coolant all over the Southern State Parkway off ramp. In the shop i watched it spew coolant from the exhaust pipes and coolant tank( dont know if thats the proper name). I was wondering would it be better to swap the engine out for another or replace the head gasket and whatever else could be wrong with it? If i were to replace the engine what are my options? cost is an issue but i was thinking an 5.0 or perhaps a 5.4 or 5.8 motor. Any help/suggestions would be appreciated!

you could do any number of things... the easiest would be just replace the gaskets and flush the coolant and oil and replace with new fluid. Best may be a rebuilt long block. If you have an early 92 (built before 3/92) and have the PRN-OD-D-1, you'll be hard pressed to find someone with a readily available long block and may require rebuilding the one you have as it would be the "bastard block" that uses the older mechanical AOD as opposed to the electronic AODE. You can also just replace the whole engine with a PI engine and intake and keep all the current electrics and it'll probably run even better (may use more gas this way). The least expensive would be the first option and hope the rod bearings haven't been damaged by the coolant in the oil.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

First, I would be examining the condition of the car. Sometime, depending on the condition, you can set your self up in something better, for the cost of the repair. Maybe get your self a highly addictive box

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

When i get home from work ill have to check the build date and gear selection and gather more advice. Is replacing the gaskets and fluids something i can do myself in a weekend? and how could i tell if the rod bearings are damaged? I have a haynes manual, im looking for a ford service manual and a few friends willing to work for beer lol..im a noob when it comes to these things and it appears that its in otherwise decent condition. i can make some time to take more pics if needed..i would loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee an box town car or even a mark continental though

Comment

Originally posted by marquisman View Post
          Maybe get your self a highly addictive box
          I second this!
          1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

I concur on the Box motion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I have never done 4.6 heads but with any head job you need to be prepared for problems, broken bolts being one of them. I would suggest having the heads inspected by a shop before bolting them back down.
              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

A 302 can be done. Its much more practical if its a bastard block. You're essentially boned on any other modular engines if you have one of those. Me being me, I'd far sooner put a 302 in one of these than any later modular engine. Having been extensively involved with both a 302 conversion and a late 4.6 conversion on a 1992 and 1993 respectively, I can tell you that the 302 was easier to do. I'll also wager it cost a lot less, though I didn't foot the bill for either of those swaps.

The absolute easiest and least expensive route is to put a stock motor back in it and go.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

you need to remove all the front accessories and pull the timing cover off to get the heads off to get the gaskets replaced. It can be done in a weekend, but you will also need to realign the timing chain and you may need to replace the tensioners in the process as well as possibly the chain and gears if they are worn as well and it can turn into a much longer job real fast.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'm going to attempt to fix the issue my self or find someone I know with auto knowledge willing to help and see how it goes, I figure since it's already broken there's only room to improve lol. Plan B is new engine, seems like 302s and even 351s a cost less then a 4.6 nearest me, unless I'm looking in the wrong places..One price I found is 2500+ including motor and labor, needed parts etc Another Is 500+ engine price but of unknown quality that a good number?

Comment

the place to look for engines is car-part.com, it will search all the junkyards in your state for spare engines and some are listed with mileage or whether or not the car came into the junk yard under its own power, etc. All the junk yards use the car-part.com search widget on their websites with a block on all other yards' inventory.
                      Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Okay, I will check out that site at work later. What cars should I put in the search field to find a 302? What's the difference between HO and regular? How much should I expect to spend on engine and labor? I don't want to get ripped off, I imagine I sound like a easy target at the mechanics shop lol

Comment

Hi.
                          I'd check your dip stick first to see if it looks like chocolate milk.
                          If it does, that you probably have a bad head gasket. I would like to say that it could be the oil filter adapter gasket, but since you're losing coolant out the exhaust, then it cannot be.
                          These early NPI motors have had issues with INTAKE MANIFOLD GASKETS. I've blown two sets, on the driver's side. That is spread out over 100k, though.
                          Which tailpipe is the coolant coming out of? Just curious.
                          Intake manifold gaskets are not hard to do, they're just time consuming. It can be done by a backyard mechanic, HOWEVER, you will need a fuel rail disconnect kit. It cost me like $10 at Advance.
                          Also, how much coolant is it drinking? If it isn't running hot, then you probably aren't losing a lot.
                          You can us this:
                          http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Manifold-Swap
                          as a guide. Just follow up to Step 15, replace gaskets, then do it in the reverse order. You do NOT need to do Step 8.

Oh, and the intake manifold gasket kit is like $30 at Advance, or $20 on RockAuto.com.

If you have any other questions, please ask.

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

I'll check the oil tonight when I get home for color. I only have 1 tail pipe and the coolant was shooting out if it and also out of the tank..The total tank leaked out in almost 4, 5 mins from the engine and tailpipe. Car isn't starting but the engine does sound like it's attempting to start(Cranking is the term?)

Comment

Im not 100% sure, but I believe the plenum gasket was changed before it was discovered that it was a head gasket blown if that helps..is a plenum gasket the same as an intake manifold gasket?

Comment

Working...
                              X