Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I think im getting rid of my 94 grand marquis....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think im getting rid of my 94 grand marquis....

and getting an 05! My 94 has been acting up and needs a lot of work and an 05 just went up for sale here. Its got 84xxx miles, clean body and car fax, only rust is on the exhaust and driveshaft and that is only surface rust. So overall its great looking for a 10 year old ohio car. Anyways, do you guys have any tips or is there anything i should look out for in this 05 besides the usual? I believe this has the aluminum intake so i dont need to worry about that issue unless they put the plastic ones on this model year.
    Any tips would be great. Thanks.

What's wrong with the '94??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

My upper control arms need replaced, both sides need inner and out tie rod ends, a wheel bearing on the front right, front brakes, water pump, thermostat, fan clutch, belt, battery and alternator. And thats the stuff both i and 2 different shops have determined. While i can do all of those jobs without much effort, i dont have much time to do them. Plus i use this car as my daily to work and back plus client sites i have to go to during the day. All of that just makes it near impossible to find time to fix it. If i had another car i could use i would and then i would leave this on jack stands at home and get to stuff as i could.
      Along with that i dont know what else could(and probably will) go wrong with it in the future. With the 05 i had it checked out and looked at everything as well as drove it 15 miles to make sure everything was good. I know there will be problems with that car as well at some point, but i need something that runs and drives now without these major problems since i put about 45 miles + a day on my car.
      I love the 94 and it is a great around town or grocery getter but it just cant hold up to my daily commute anymore. i may keep it and fix it up anyways but im pretty sure im going with this 05.

Comment

Curious as to what color it is. My Dad's '93 was Mocha Frost. Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

Comment

www.rockauto.com

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Just curious how much you might pay for the 05.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Depends upon where he is located (among other factors).

Comment

Mine is white. Not sure of the exact color code though lol. I looked on rock auto and am able to get parts for cheap. I just dont have the time unfortunately. I work 10 hour days some days and its my main mode of transportation. I cant justify spending 2000 on it at a mechanic either when i can put that into a newer one. I have tons of tools from when i was a mechanic and can do the work, just no time.
                The one im looking at is 6500 out the door. My bank said it retails at 8200 so i know its a decent deal, and i cant find similar ones with similar mileage for anywhere near this price where i am(northern ohio).

Comment

Any chance you can keep the '94 and use the new one as a DD? That way you can redo the '94 at your leisure.

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                    Any chance you can keep the '94 and use the new one as a DD? That way you can redo the '94 at your leisure.
                    Bump.
                    '79 Continental Town Car
                    '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                    '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

seriously... trade in values SUCK on these cars.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah i am really debating it. I bought the car for what they will give me in trade so there is no loss, but i love this car, even though it has its flaws, but dont all cars. The only reason is my wife doesnt want cars taking up space in the driveway. I would love to turn this car into a project though. It would be a fun rebuild and restore. I guess i will decide friday after i get the new one. Regardless ill still have a grand marquis.

Comment

Good deal.
                          What I did with my tie rods, it bought the innners and outers brand new with new sleeves for $36. I just swapped them out, then got an alignment.
                          You can always do a little bit every week. You don't have to fix it all at once.
                          I'd definitely do the brakes and wheel hub together.
                          Then alternator, belt, and fan clutch.
                          Spread it out. You can get it done.

-ryan s.
                          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                          Originally posted by pantera77
                          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

1. The '05 is the first year of "drive by wire" where the throttle is completely electronically controlled, no cables, or anything. I haven't seen any proof of sudden unintented accelleration with these '05 and up Fords, but some people inherently do not trust the newfangled electronic controls.

2. Everything from '02 up (CV/GM/TC) has a black box. This handy device will tattle on you in case of an accident. Were you wearing your seat belt? Were you on the accellerator? How much? Did you even hit the brakes or turn the tires to try to avoid the accident? What were the wheel speeds? The cops/insurance companies can pull that data and use it to convict you if you did ANYTHING wrong. Mistake or on purpose.

Good luck man. You asked for ANY reasons not to buy the car, or problems they were known for and the above do matter a lot to some people.

I know my brother's kid is going to need a car soon/eventually, and doing the work himself would be a good learning experience. I can't promise we'd buy it, but you could always post the car up for sale here and if you get anything over what they're offering as trade-in value it's that much more money in your pocket. Though it sounds like you need a quick sale to get the new one to replace it.
                            Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Also, since you said Northern Ohio, did you see my NEO Craigslist thread where I posted this '03 Ultimate with 95k I found the other day that they're asking $3400 for: http://cleveland.craigslist.org/cto/4382849146.html
                              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                              X