Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I will pay you $100.00 if you can cure this!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I will pay you $100.00 if you can cure this!

Ok I will relate a problem on going for more yrs than I want to admit!

Will try to be brief!
    Water, thats right water!............on the drivers side floor mat, not passenger........and to an extent rear drivers side as well.

I have taken out the front seat, crawled in and as I lay on my back had a friend take a hose and go at the windshield, I had a drop light inside looking for the source of the water.........not a damn thing........not even a drop!

Now consider if the windshield was only leaking then yes, I would have a puddle on the top of the mats..........but, and here is the kicker.....if I take out the rubber car mats that completely cover the drivers side carpet, the carpet below is loaded with water!!

How in the H can the carpet become soaked with all of it covered with rubber mats???

I am just guessing here but, can I have some kind of hidden body seam leak??

I pulled up the carpet and removed the rubber drain plug, as a way for the water to drain and not rot the floor pan on that side.

As I said, I will pay cash money of one hundred dollars (NYC area) to any person who can positively tell me where the damn water is coming from!

This is pissing me off!

Appears it might be coming from the bottom of the car. Are you certain no open rust spots or other drain plug leaks??? Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

theres lots of places these pics might help.brake booster,throttle cable,ecm,fenderbolts up top and middle one,seam sealer,weather stripping,lower upper door hinges.if you can get some type of dye pour it into said places to see.hope this helps
      Attached Files

Comment

I believe David had this issue on his vic? Check for rust/rot around the part where the fender bolts up, near the A pillar.

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
        1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
        1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
        2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
        2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

rot or clogged drains up at the firewall ya

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

AC evaporator not draining properly?

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
            Using Tapatalk

Comment

Has the top ever been redone on the car?

My 89 MGM had the vinyl top removed and a cloth top installed as part of the dealer's transformation into a 50th Anniversary Edition MGM.
              Apparently there were some sort of rivets or screws (or I'm not sure what) that held the original trim, for the vinyl top, to the roof of the car. The holes were never filled and when it rained real hard, especially on long trips, or if the car sat out in the rain, the water would run down the B-pillar and down my seat belt and I would have a wet shirt or at least wet left shoulder. The water would run all the way down to the floor as well and I would have wet carpet both front and rear and for some reason it was always on the driver's side. Luckily it never shorted the dome light before I fixed it.

I ended up pulling the headliner and filling the holes with either epoxy or silicone, it was a long time ago so I don't remember which I used. If I ever restore the car I know there will be a nightmare waiting under the cloth roof cover.

This may not be your problem, but I figured I would throw it out there since you mentioned also having water on the floor in the rear and it brought back this memory for me.
              Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
              ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
              ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Bob, drain plugs?......where in the doors? When you say bottom.......where???
                Originally posted by miamibob View Post
                Appears it might be coming from the bottom of the car. Are you certain no open rust spots or other drain plug leaks??? Bobby

Comment

the front and rear edge on the bottom of the door has a drain. It can't be plugged or the door fills with water. My guess is you have it coming in around the e-brake area, probably from a rust hole in the A pillar somewhere between the top hinge and the wiper arm pivot.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Vic, the top is as built in 1986, never replaced or modified. Strange still is the fact the rear does not become as soaked as the front, and sometimes will remain dry, while the front gets soaked. The fact a puddle of water is on the top of my rubber mat, dead center of the mat would suggest the windshield, but this carpet soaking really is killing me. One could always have the WS re-sealed, but finding all the other leak possibilities ..now that is a pita!
                    Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                    Has the top ever been redone on the car?

My 89 MGM had the vinyl top removed and a cloth top installed as part of the dealer's transformation into a 50th Anniversary Edition MGM.
                    Apparently there were some sort of rivets or screws (or I'm not sure what) that held the original trim, for the vinyl top, to the roof of the car. The holes were never filled and when it rained real hard, especially on long trips, or if the car sat out in the rain, the water would run down the B-pillar and down my seat belt and I would have a wet shirt or at least wet left shoulder. The water would run all the way down to the floor as well and I would have wet carpet both front and rear and for some reason it was always on the driver's side. Luckily it never shorted the dome light before I fixed it.

I ended up pulling the headliner and filling the holes with either epoxy or silicone, it was a long time ago so I don't remember which I used. If I ever restore the car I know there will be a nightmare waiting under the cloth roof cover.

This may not be your problem, but I figured I would throw it out there since you mentioned also having water on the floor in the rear and it brought back this memory for me.

Comment

Gadget, sad to say the bottom of the drivers door inside edge is full of holes, no drain needed! Any way you could post a picture of the exact area you speak of? My question is why did I not see any water when I was inside with the drop light laying on my back??,not one drop with the hose on full blast!
                      Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                      the front and rear edge on the bottom of the door has a drain. It can't be plugged or the door fills with water. My guess is you have it coming in around the e-brake area, probably from a rust hole in the A pillar somewhere between the top hinge and the wiper arm pivot.

Comment

Mania, are you saying the screened area under the hood where the vent gets it fresh air from?? I am not aware of drain holes up at the firewall??
                        Originally posted by Lincolnmania View Post
                        rot or clogged drains up at the firewall ya

Comment

So not likely a leak in the roof then, if there was a leak under the vinyl I would think the rear would be just as wet or probably more wet than the front.
                          Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                          ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                          ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by Toploader View Post
                            Gadget, sad to say the bottom of the drivers door inside edge is full of holes, no drain needed! Any way you could post a picture of the exact area you speak of? My question is why did I not see any water when I was inside with the drop light laying on my back??,not one drop with the hose on full blast!
                            The doors probably aren't your problem, but its just something to be aware of. I don't have any pics, but if you open the door and lay on the ground looking up at it, you'll see them. There are two spots on the door that look like the drain channels they are.
                            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

LOL!....no drain needed..........as the bottom of the door is rotted open
                              Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                              The doors probably aren't your problem, but its just something to be aware of. I don't have any pics, but if you open the door and lay on the ground looking up at it, you'll see them. There are two spots on the door that look like the drain channels they are.

Comment

Working...
                              X