AOD occasionally not engaging

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AOD occasionally not engaging

Was going to check my shifter rod adjustment. But Sometimes (very occasionally) I'll pull up to a stop, and when I go to hit the gas, It's like i'm in neutral. The one time i moved the shifter down through 3 and 2 on the selector, and it it still did not engaged. It wasn't until i revved it up that it finally grabbed and operated fine after that. Should I be worried, or just make sure the shifter linkage is all adjusted correctly?
    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Could be the transmission pump. My 91 does not like the cold. it'll do just that, but only once. Then once it happens, it'll never happen again for that drive cycle unless trans cools back down.
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Mine started doing that after I replaced the fluid and filter. At first I forgot to install the O-ring on the filter and I drove it like that for twenty miles before I realized my mistake and immediately fixed it. It would always slip at this one stop sign by the exit of the parking deck at my school. After it would slip the first time it wouldn't do it again for the rest of the drive. I had to replace the TV cable after the last shop broke it, and after adjusting the cable for higher pressure the problem doesn't occur as often.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
      2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
      2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Make sure the trans fluid is at the proper level.
        Does the issue happen when cold like was mentioned?
        On my cars I have found that the cold does cause this issue just like others mentioned and then it goes away once the trans fluid is warmed up. In my case it was actually the fluid level that was slightly low, the cold just amplified the problem.
        If it happens at other points during driving, not just when cold, then you may have cause for concern. How many miles on the trans?
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Last time I checked the fluid level, it was where it should be. I used Mercon V. It would happen when the car was cold and once the car warmed up it would go away. I always parked in a parking garage, so it would feel colder in there than outside on some days.

Fortunately, this has never happened to me while driving along, or after the car has warmed up. I'm not too concerned about it. Fluid doesn't look burnt at all. Transmission was rebuilt by the PO at 103,000, so the rebuild has 139,000 on it now.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
          2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
          2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
            Last time I checked the fluid level, it was where it should be. I used Mercon V. It would happen when the car was cold and once the car warmed up it would go away. I always parked in a parking garage, so it would feel colder in there than outside on some days.

Fortunately, this has never happened to me while driving along, or after the car has warmed up. I'm not too concerned about it. Fluid doesn't look burnt at all. Transmission was rebuilt by the PO at 103,000, so the rebuild has 139,000 on it now.
            Any slippage with the trans is never good, but since your issue is temperature related you have the ability to minimize its occurrence so I would agree that it's not cause for too much concern.

If the OP's issue is not just temperature/fluid level related then he may not be able to control how often it occurs and there may be cause for concern. Although it doesn't sound like he should be worried about a rebuild at this point.

Also my thought behind the mileage question: if the OP has something like 250k+ miles and that's the only issue, which he said does not occur very often, I would just keep going with it and not worry too much about it.
            Last edited by VicCrownVic; 04-04-2014, 01:09 PM.
            Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
            ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
            ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

It has about 120K on it, and it was when it was mostly cold i suppose. It really only happened 2 or 3 times, sporadically. Trans has been pretty healthy, never any shavings in fluid, or darkening of fluid, it has always been changed religiously its whole life. I'll check the level, and the shifter linkage this weekend.
              -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

Comment

Low juice and/or missing filter gasket are the easy fixes. If its not that, it does sound like the pump is dying or sucking air from someplace. Make sure your cooler lines aren't leaky, and if you have any rubber in the cooler plumbing make sure its not bad. I know the rubber lines that went from my radiator out to the front cooler were like rock when I changed them. If yours are original, it wouldn't hurt to replace them just to eliminate the possibility.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Low Juice...should have checked before posting, but was away from the car and thinking of all that could be wrong. Thanks for the input guys!
                  -Phil

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                  X