90 wagon needs a new aod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

90 wagon needs a new aod

Group my 90 wagon needs a new tranny (aod)
    Will a regular 4 door box tranny work?
    And later years like 92 on up??

I wonder if you can upgrade to a 4R70W? You'd have to add the electronics for it.

Sent from my '85 Lincolin Town Car
    Using Tapatalk

Comment

Yep, 4R70W can be done, but like kodiak said you would need a controller for it. Also you would need to find one that uses the SBF bolt pattern since a trans from a 4.6l, like the newer MGM/CVs will not work/does not have the same bolt pattern. I believe a 3.8l? V6? would be the car you're looking for for that swap.

For a direct swap a wagon or sedan (MGM/CV) 1990-1991 (and maybe early build 92 w/bastard block+AOD) would be a direct swap. A trans from an 89- MGM/CV would also work but you would need to swap the shift linkage which would require removing the trans oil pan and and undoing a few things inside (not too difficult). Another issue with 89- is they don't use the same number of teeth on the output shaft as the 90+ so your speedometer would be off, like mine is. I have an 89 trans in my 91 MGM, I put a 16 tooth speedo gear (the least number of teeth that gear come in AFIK) on the speed sensor but it's still not accurate, it reads about 2mph slower than my actual speed, better than 5mph with the 17 tooth gear.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

ford/mercury sedan transmissions are the same. Lincoln ones are different. 92+ is mostly electronic. Possible, but you have to get the right one to physically bolt up and you need the electronics. Not trivial, not extremely cheap either. 3.8 V6 cars have the one that you need.

89+ is the best of the AOD family, 86+ is also OK, skip the older ones. Shift linkage swap is not that big of an issue, but be aware of it. If you get a trans from something else, measure it first. The long ones are like an inch and a half longer, and will not fit in your car. Thats mostly a Lincoln thing, but its worth confirming before you bolt it in only to find out the driveshaft won't go in at the very end of it all.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
        X