Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Extra, extra, read all about it! Ford admits whale LCMs are a problem!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Extra, extra, read all about it! Ford admits whale LCMs are a problem!

Got a letter from Ford - LCM warrantee extended for 15 years or 250,000 miles whichever comes first!

AND if you've paid to have yours fixed/replaced (hasn't everyone?) they will reimburse you - chaching!

It's not a formal recall, the letter says 'Customer Satisfaction Program 14N01' - nothing online yet. The billion dollar Toyota settlement must be shaking things up.

Doesn't say the years btw, but mines' an 03 and there was a previous inquiry into 03-05.

Got one? Call Ford!

Pete
    Originally posted by gadget73
    For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
    1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
    1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

The earlier ones probably had the same issue. Got a '95 but so far it is ok. Got to keep an eye out for this!!! Bobby

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I had to look that up to see what it was. What happens when the Light Control Module fails? Do the headlights just quit working? I have an 07, so it may not be an issue for me.

Comment

In my case headlights went completely out, the only way I could get them to work was by holding flash-to-pass. High beams for a 2 hour drive.

Pete
        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375

Comment

Hey that's great. My Marauder LCM went at 15Kmiles. I was expecting to have to futz with one in another 4K. 15 years sounds great though my car is 11+ years already with 26K on it. Chances are I will hit the year limit before the miles.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

It's 03'+ only. I gotta take mine it because it's acting up.

Comment

Figures. I just got this letter yesterday as well. My LCM died about 2 years ago just like Pete's did. I found out which part caused it and desoldered and installed the updated replacement part and it's been fine ever since.

My question to Ford is- If they replace my LCM is it the same as the stock one that always fails, or is there an updated version? Would really piss me off to have them replace it and then die again later on.
              These are highly engineered precision vehicles, the first step in diagnosing the problem is to strike the suspected offending part sharply and repeatedly with a blunt object, then re-test.

Comment

For anyone that has the headlights quit due to a bad LCM... you can usually get them back on (temporarily) by smacking the LCM itself - it's a black box (slightly shorter than a VHS tape) under the dash above the gas pedal.
                Pete ::::>>> resident LED addict and CFI defector LED bulb replacements
                'LTD HPP' 85 Vic (my rusty baby) '06 Honda Reflex 250cc 'Baileys' 91 Vic (faded cream puff) ClifFord 'ODB' 88 P72 (SOLD) '77 LTDII (RIP)
                sigpic
                85HPP's most noteworthy mods: CFI to SEFI conversion w/HO upperstuff headers & flowmasters P71 airbox Towncar seats LED dash light-show center console w/5 gauge package LED 3rd brake light 3G alternator mini starter washer/coolant bottle upgrade Towncar power trunk pull underhood fuse/relay box 16" HPP wheels - police swaybars w/poly rubbers - budget Alpine driven 10 speaker stereo

Comment

Hmm, just paid $175 for a repaired LCM off ebay, wonder if I can get the full amount back from Ford and not less the $50 core charge

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
                  Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

a coworker's car did this and we soldered in an EXTERNAL relay in that bitch. 2 years later... still running great.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I've seen the repair page detailing how to wire in a regular Bosch relay externally. Seems to me they should have done that from the start. Maybe design it so it had a socket right in the side of the thing for a headlamp relay that was serviceable.
                      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                        I've seen the repair page detailing how to wire in a regular Bosch relay externally. Seems to me they should have done that from the start. Maybe design it so it had a socket right in the side of the thing for a headlamp relay that was serviceable.
                        What - and kill all the fun??? Damn Killjoy!

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Not to hi-jack the thread but, speaking of headlamps and lights in general!

How would you like to traveling on the Garden State Parkway up from Long Branch toward New York City at 65mph steady speed and the damn headlamps go off!! Now for all the non joyzee members, the GSP has no lights on it, save for the exit ramps..........does brown jockey shorts enter your mind? The headlamp switch was over heating from the halogen lamps, and the CB kept opening!
                          True this was on a fifty year old car, but still.........pulled the fuse block down and cut in relays for the standard and high beams.
                          That cured it!...........no more brown underwear

Comment

No brown underwear FTW.

I went up to Fords' service garage after work yesterday, took the letter and a copy of my Paypal receipt, 15 minutes later walked out done and told I'd get a check in 4-6 weeks directly from Ford. No runaround.

Mine was $150 and included a $50 core deposit but it did not say that on Paypals' receipt (it was listed as shipping). I'm getting back $150. I don't feel like a crook because I'm not getting any labor.

Pete

Comment

Thank you so much! I got a letter from Ford a few days ago. I didn't open it until now because I thought it was just about getting my car serviced. It is the 14N01 letter! I had Ford replace my 2003 GM LCM in 2011. Of course they charged me a pretty penny. I have the invoice so I'm taking it and the letter to the Ford dealer tomorrow. Looking forward to getting a big check!!

Comment

Working...
                              X