Changing tranny fluid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Changing tranny fluid

If I am changing the tranny fluid, what else do i ned to get besides the fluid?
    "To Find yourself, you must first lose yourself"

-1973 Volkswagen Bus Westy
    -1986 Honda Magna 700cc
    -1989 Lincoln Town car Signature Series
    -2011 Subaru Outback

Filter, pan gasket.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

I shouldn't re-use the tranny pan (the things that says (AOD)metric

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Yes, you re-use the pan, just replace the gasket that fits on the mating surface of the pan.

Comment

I was told I need to get Rubber instead or cork gasket and use a special Gasket material maker (RTV based) that is not soilicone and that is Automatic transmission compatible. Is this true?

Also is there a recommnded filter to get (name brand wise)

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

I can't tell if this comes wqith a rubber gasket.

Do ya'll know?

WIX Part # 58939 {#FT1056}

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
            -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

The filter kit will have both the filter and gasket (usually). The gasket material maker is only needed when no gasket is available and the RTV is used to make a gasket.

A rubber gasket is fine, when the kit comes with a cork I simply coat the gasket with a film of grease (I'm old school)....if you're new school, Permatex makes a brush on gasket sealant you can buy.

Comment

Originally posted by porschpow View Post
                I can't tell if this comes wqith a rubber gasket.

Do ya'll know?

WIX Part # 58939 {#FT1056}
                Call a parts store with this part no. and ask.

Comment

So a rubber gasket doesn't need any sealant, but a cork one would?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                  -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Just got a wix for the marauder. It has cork. Also made in China.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

thanks for the head sup, looks like I am stuck with that

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                      -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

My experience, I've always used cork with no sealant, just damped with old trans fluid, not by design but because the kit came with it. I do pan fluid/filter about every two years (for years) and have never had a leak. If I were in my druthers I'd use the rubber ones. From what I understand others HAVE had leaks so ymmv, etc. I also have a Mr Gasket 4470 drain plug I picked up from Jegs I plan on installing in the MGM next filter.

Two more things, make sure you remember to install the little gasket on the neck (you'll see it), and careful tightening the pan bolts, they strip pretty easy. Good luck.

Pete
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                        1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                        1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Doesn't the kit include that little gasket?

That's interested, you would damp/soak the new cork gasket with old tranny fluid?

-1986 Honda Magna 700cc
                          -2011 Subaru Outback

Comment

Just running a fluid-damp finger on the gasket until coated. I always did it just because, I'm guessing I picked it up from my dad, but I like Louis's idea with grease (thanks!).

The little gasket does come with the kit usually. I forgot to install it on one car and man did that tranny do weird things

Pete
                            Originally posted by gadget73
                            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
                            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
                            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

Yep. Every time I've changed my transmission filter it's come with all the gaskets required (Including the little one). I also usually put some transmission fluid on the gasket if it's cork. It also helps it stay in place a little bit too.

Make sure you check the contents of the box out before you you walk out of the store. Sometimes they have old stock sitting around and the boxes can be a little beat in my experience. (Leading to the possibility of a gasket falling out and going missing).

Easy job but messy.

How hard is it to install the drain plug? I've never done that. Sounds like it might be nice to have.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X