Supercharged Marauder transmission rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Supercharged Marauder transmission rebuild

Had the privilege of working on a jwibbity's supercharged Marauder from MM.net. He brought the car to me saying the transmission was shifting "funny"

read here; http://www.mercurymarauder.net/forum...ad.php?t=91968.

On the test drive the 2-3 shift would flare slightly, then slide into 3rd gear and overall the shifts were not crisp and consistent. I am told the transmission was rebuilt previously by another transmission shop, 2-3 yrs ago.

Once the fluid was drained, the magnet and pan looked clean

During tear down, I found no major damage. There was evidence the valve body had a TransGo kit install at one time
    but appeared it had been removed by the previous shop that rebuilt the transmission recently. The valve body already had the
    improved Sonnax pressure regulator valve and it had a superior "Tuff" plate, separator plate installed. I also found the o-rings for the shift solenoid were worn and one was cut.

The Forward clutches were slightly worn and discolored and appeared to have been machined improperly when then were manufactured. The grooving was cut all the way down to the metal, this is not normal.

I did a full rebuild with new clutches, seals and gaskets. One of my normal upgrades on these transmissions is to remove the wave spring from the forward clutch and increase the clutch pack to 6 clutches. I also upgraded the intermediate shaft to a stronger one made out of 300m and upgraded the mechanical diode one way clutch to a newer, factory part that has more locking teeth.

I also did a forced lube to the extension housing bushing. It was a good thing this was done, because worn u-joints were starting
    to damage the bushing. It was pitted and showing moderate wear

The drive shaft was sent to out for new HeavyDuty u-joints and a high speed balance.

We used a 11" converter from Blue Oval chips; http://www.blueovalchips.com/index.p...t_detail&p=273
    It's an upgrade converter from CircleD

Got the transmission back in the car, refilled with fluid and went for a drive. 1-2 shift was OK but not great, 2-3 shift was horrible
    and 3-4 shift would flare and slip.

I pull the pan and valve body and found the gasket between the case and valve body had slipped off the lower alignment dowel and torn. I replace the gasket and for giggles installed a new OD servo piston. Another test drive and it was better, but not great. There was also a Violent downshift when slowing to a stop, as if another car was hitting you from behind.

At this point I was out time and the owner was on his way to pick up the car. We both had prior engagements that prevented me from working on the car any further at that time, so he took the with the understanding I would work on it again.

Fast forward to the 3rd week of April, I drove up and towed the car back to my shop. Pulled the transmission back out, completely went through it and found nothing wrong.

I suspected a bad front pump was to blame for the soft shifts, so I replaced the pump with a good used one and new pump gears.

I put the forward clutch back to 5 clutches and installed the HeavyDuty wave spring from a 5.4L truck; XL3Z-7E085-A
    I replaced the OD band with another new high carbon band, and I replaced the Intermediate and Direct clutches and steels with new Raysbestos parts.

while it was apart again, I installed a Metco drive shaft safety loop and installed a secondary transmission cooler.

Put everything back together and went for a drive. Shifts were still soft and OD slipped, but the harsh down shift was gone. Since I was confident there was nothing wrong with the transmission internally, I decided to install a different valve body.

BAM!... That fixed it ! Firm, positive shifts, it even barked the 1-2 shift a couple of times at half throttle.
    Last edited by 88grandmarq; 05-02-2014, 11:26 PM.
    2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
    89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
    88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Very nice.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Nice! Made in kanadia lol

1981 Mercury Marquis Brougham 2-Door 302/ 5-speed -special blend (GMGT)
      1987 Lincoln Mark VII 5-speed (Errand runner)
      1989 Mercury Grand Marquis (Base Runner)
      2007 Lincoln Town Car Signature Limited (Hustlyn)
      2011 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor (Down with O.P.P)

Comment

we like barking the tires.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
        X