Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

where's my downshift?

1981 ford ltd. 302v8, aod trans with rod

just replaced the intake gaskets and put on a remanned 2150 motorcraft carb.

manually shifting through the gears, the car is fine.
    putting the car in od or d and driving,the car is fine,

when you have the car in od or d and give it gas to pass, the trans doesnt't downshift and the rpms go up. if you let off the gas and drive it's fine.

tv pressure is set per chilton manual and i never had a problem before until now

any thoughts?

All the work you did was in the engine bay but check the T.V. rod connection at the trans, if it disconnected itself at the trans then it probably wasn't anything you did but just coincidental.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I looked underneath and the tv rod is still hooked at the trans end.

do you think the aod is starting the "slow death"?

Comment

As long as that rod is connected both at the trans and wherever it connects near the intake/tb (I'm not familiar with the older style), it may be on it's way out but that's quite the coincidence that it would go after doing some pretty much unrelated work. I know there are some guys here more knowledgeable in the trans department, I'd be curious to see what they have to say.

I've not had the joy of experiencing the "slow death" I've always killed my AODs without much warning and always 1st and 2nd gear that I end up killing (probably because I drive like a maniac ).
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

*ah-ah-ack-Ahem*

TAKE IT TO THE TRANSMISSION SHOP. So many people are just so shit-scared of being told they need a $2000 rebuild that they toast the goddamn tranny driving the car around when a simple $60 adjustment would have solved all their problems in the first place.

My first '88 LTD dropped the plastic or brass bushing, I got it into the shop immediately instead of ignoring it, and the local transmission shop fixed it for PARTS COST.

You can let the professionals check it out and maybe adjust the rod/pressure, or you can ignore it or try to fix it yourself.

(Sorry, but there are just a lot of morons out there who have destroyed A LOT of these beautiful cars out of ignorance and fear of needing a tranny rebuild when a simple sub-$100 repair would have solved everything, even if they had to park it and take a bus or bum rides for a week until they could afford it)

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Originally posted by sxcpotatoes View Post
            *ah-ah-ack-Ahem*

TAKE IT TO THE TRANSMISSION SHOP. So many people are just so shit-scared of being told they need a $2000 rebuild that they toast the goddamn tranny driving the car around when a simple $60 adjustment would have solved all their problems in the first place.

My first '88 LTD dropped the plastic or brass bushing, I got it into the shop immediately instead of ignoring it, and the local transmission shop fixed it for PARTS COST.

You can let the professionals check it out and maybe adjust the rod/pressure, or you can ignore it or try to fix it yourself.

(Sorry, but there are just a lot of morons out there who have destroyed A LOT of these beautiful cars out of ignorance and fear of needing a tranny rebuild when a simple sub-$100 repair would have solved everything, even if they had to park it and take a bus or bum rides for a week until they could afford it)

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
            Don't mince words here...tell us how you really feel!
            Originally posted by gadget73
            There is nothing more permanent than a temporary fix.
            91 Mercury CP, Lopo 302, AOD, 3.08LSD. 3g upgrade, Moog wagon coils up front, cc819s in the back. KYB GR-2 police shocks. Energy suspension control arm bushings. Smog deleted.
            93 F-150 XLT, 302, ZF 5-spd from 1-ton, 4wd.
            Daily--07 Civic Coupe. Bone stock with 25k miles
            Wife--14 Subaru Outback. 6-speed.
            95 Subaru Legacy Wagon--red--STOLEN 1/6/13

Comment

Was the TV adjustment before or after the intake was off? If it was before, you'll need to re-check all that stuff, especially if the carb was replaced. Also, what size drill bit did you use for the spacer block when you set the TV pressure? Some recent research I did found that there are 2 different sizes depending on if you have a later cable linkage or the old rod linkage. I forget what those are off the top of my head, but I can dig the book out to verify once you let me know what Chilton said to do. I've got an '85 manual here someplace that I think should be the same.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

tv pressure was adjusted after work was done. car is now parked until I can get it to the trans. shop.

used feeler gauge to adjust screw on carb linkage as per chilton manual

Comment

from memory here, the process involves a somewhat large drill bit. There are 3 sizes, X and 10mm or some fractional size that I can't recall. The bit goes between the screw on the TV lever and the throttle lever, and you set the pressure to 35 psi or something using a gauge screwed into a specific port on the side of the transmission. Its in the shop manual that isn't nearby right this moment but pictures are probably somewhere online with what port does what on the trans. One is TV pressure test, and one I think is the direct clutch pressure test port. I haven't read one that involved a feeler gauge before.
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

update

got the ltd back from the shop. seems to shift allright.

we'll see how it goes

Comment

Did they just do a tv adjustment?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

update

LTD is parked for time being. Wife wanted a new FWD car.

trans. still acting up.

considering a c4 swap now.

Comment

no C4. Those things are the definition of slushbox. A later AOD is what you want. The early ones are not that great.

Comment

I found my downshift. Been gathering parts for the last few months. Took off crappy remanned 2bbl (2150) and swapped it at work (parts store) for a eddy 1406 4bbl carb. Got a eddy performer 289 intake and the 3 lokar parts (carb bracket, throttle cable, and tv cable).Also got tv corrector bracket for eddy carb.Checked pressure this morning with OTC gauge and drove it around. Shifts are good and it kicksdown like it should.

next stop, dual exhaust.

Comment

Nice!

So the solution was to switch from the rod to the lokar tv cable? Anything seem wrong with the TV rod when you took it off?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Working...
                              X