What Panther is right for me?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Panther is right for me?

Alright I am about to go into college and need a newer more fuel efficient vehicle than my 1973 Ford F250. So I was looking at the panther platform. But I am wondering which one is for me? I was flipping between the 302, the 2v 4.6, and (if im lucky) the 3v 4.6. Which one is more fuel efficent? Which one has more power? Would I be just as happy with a Lincoln town car as a crown vic? Thanks

There is no 3v option for Panthers.
    I'd go with a 93-97 CV, GM, or TC if you want decent efficiency.
    The 03's and up offer better handling.
    Someone else is going to have to chime in about the boxes.

-ryan s.
    08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
    03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
    97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
    94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
    73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
    12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
    Originally posted by pantera77
    Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Originally posted by SVT98t View Post
      There is no 3v option for Panthers.
      I'd go with a 93-97 CV, GM, or TC if you want decent efficiency.
      The 03's and up offer better handling.
      Someone else is going to have to chime in about the boxes.

-ryan s.
      Why are the 93-97's more efficient than the others? Is there any reason to choose the lower end (CV or GM) over the TC? Can you swap parts from the 03+ to the older cars for better handling?

Comment

How much money can you wisely spend on a car?
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Yeah, what's the budget here? I love my 04 and from that point on they were very reliable cars. I'm sure any panther will do better in the MPG department than your truck but don't expect more than 17 city and mid 20s on the highway.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk
          2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
          2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
          Past Panthers
          1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
          if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

the 92-97 (yes, 92.5 actually build date of 3 or 4/92 +) are the lightest panthers with the most economical (re: detuned) 4.6L engines and they still have the power, but also have the efficiency to get the mileage if you keep your foot out of it. You will get 19-28mpg in most aero vics/mgms and get typical around 20-26.

+1 what's your budget? consider at least saving back $1000 for potential ills on the one you get (unless you get it off someone on this forum, then you'll know exactly what needs fixing).

Obviously, if gas mileage is very high on your priority list, my Lincoln isn't going to help. It is reliable as it gets though, and everything has been fixed on it except the window channel felt needing replaced on the driver door.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I got about 17 or so with my '92 last summer. That's with pretty much all city driving with a 12 mile round trip commute to work. I got around 14 with it over the winter, but last winter was brutal. WOT doesn't help either.

Seems to be getting pretty decent again though, now that the weather is warmed up.
              1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                +1 what's your budget? consider at least saving back $1000 for potential ills on the one you get (unless you get it off someone on this forum, then you'll know exactly what needs fixing)..
                Perhaps he would be interested in an '82 Mark VI?

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
                2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
                2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

not if he wants mileage. that thing doesn't get any better than 17 on the highway at 60mph. I tend to get about 12-15 in that car. That probably has everything to do with the fact it has 4.10 rear gears and would do much better with 3.27/3.55 gears.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Alright guys I'd figure I would address a couple of questions. First off: The mileage I get currently is 7 on the highway. I view anything higher than 18 as good (I don't know why). College is a 60 mile trip from home and whenever I need to go back it would be nicer on fuel to get something that gets more than 7. Second: I would be looking in the 1500 - 2000 range (which kind of drives me to the older cars anyways. But for some reason around these parts I could not find an 03 for dealer sale over 5K (3K for a private sale which is what I would be looking towards). For whatever reason they do not hold their value well in this area. I am mechanically inclined and so fixing matienence items (shocks, brakes, etc.) is a non issue.

Okay so here is a few more questions then: 302 or 4.6? I don't necessarily hot rod everywhere, but I do like power when I ask for it. Also fuel economy is an issue, but I'm not going to sweat 1-2 mpg difference on the highway.

Difference between CV/GM/TC: What are the big differences in the cars? Any reason to look for a CV over a TC (or vice versa).

Police Interceptors: If I find a PI in my price range should I give that any more or less thought over another car? Are there any real benefits to the PI?

What are some main problem areas I should check?

The main reason I am looking at the Panther platform is because my family have owned two (an 88 GM and a 01 CV PI) and they seemed to be very reliable cars. Never did they go to the mechanics for anything more than an alternator swap and we got both for pretty cheap (2K for the 88 in 01 and 1.5K for the CV in 11). Also they give the V8 in the front and the drive wheels in the back (the way god meant it to be). I'm just trying to make an informed decision rather than jumping on exactly what my heart wants (an 88 like the days of my youth).

Comment

1. Both engines are very reliable. The 4.6 performance parts cost more, but you're not looking at that. I have run the 4.6 in my Tank in an oil-starved condition for the past, oh, 60k and it's still doing quite well (at 221k).
                      2. The CV, GM, and,TC are mechanically identical say for small differences between them (air ride in the TC, and HPP GMs)

-ryan s.
                      08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                      03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                      97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                      94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                      73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                      12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                      Originally posted by pantera77
                      Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Design problem areas (boxes): alternator can catch on fire, frame can rust through from dripping A/C condensation, brakes lock up too easily.

Donald McCaig

Comment

if you like the f250 you'd probably love an 86 87 box. i recently got an 02 and even though its reliable, it still has alot of quirks my box doesnt. not looking forward to fixing anything on the 4.6 either, yet i always enjoyed wrenching on the old 5.0.
                          Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

water pumps are stupid easy on a 4.6 compared to the 302.

Comment

I think I would suggest the lowest mileage 4.6 you can get for around $1,500. You always need something in the bank for repairs. Town Cars are more luxurious than the CV/GM but most folks are really happy with just a nice ride 4 door V8. Old police cars are less luxurious than a normal CV/GM and usually have duals. My favorite is a CV/GM LX/LS HPP (aka Sport). I like the automatic air springs so check if they are still there. If you don't like leather get the GS not the LX/LS.
                              03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                              02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                              08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                              12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Working...
                              X