Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can an AOD Live with Just an Oil Cooler?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can an AOD Live with Just an Oil Cooler?

As the title says, can I just run an oversized oil cooler by itself instead of running the lines into the radiator and then the cooler? The radiators are a bit cheaper without the auto trans ports in them. Thank you

Packman

I would have both. Are the deleted port radiators that much cheaper??

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

All that the radiator element is doing is warming up the fluid. So if you live in a warmer climate, you can very well run it through a cooler. Even better, you can install a cooler with an integrated thermostat that will bypass the internal cooler until the fluid reaches a certain temperature. I did this on my Ford Taurus, and used a B&M SuperCooler. Works great!
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Hmmmm......that's interesting. I didn't know that was the function of radiator in regard to the transmission. That would make sense though. When I was running the TH250 in the Malibu, I baked it one night in heavy traffic. I couldn't understand why since I was running a 4-core radiator and the engine saw 200* max in that traffic. I was told that the tranny lines make one pass on one row and then exit back to the transmission. I ended up getting a cooler for the TH350 that followed.

So back on the AOD; it gets cold in the winter, but hottish in the summer. If I run the cooler alone, can I block it off (with cardboard) in the winter and monitor the trans temp?

Packman

Comment

i've run my AOD in the mustang like that for years................daily drive it and has around 250/300 track passes on it lol............
          Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
            i've run my AOD in the mustang like that for years................daily drive it and has around 250/300 track passes on it lol............
            My cousin lives in central FL, I think he's seen snow twice in his life. I may just get the radiator without the trans ports and see what I get.

Packman

Comment

I wouldn't do it in NJ. You want some fluid heating going on. You'd be a bit screwed if you bake a transmission from having overly thick cold fluid in it. Not only would you be out a trans, you'd still need another radiator.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
              X