Concerns about hitch installation and towing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Concerns about hitch installation and towing

So, I'm preparing for a trip to Northern VA from SW Ohio in a week or so. We've done the trip in my GM before, but this time, I'm considering installing a hitch so I can trailer my Harley down for the week. Before anyone says "Why not just ride it?", I had an accident on March 1st in which I suffered an 80% tear of the AC Ligament in my right shoulder. I'm back to about 95%, but I just don't think I can ride for 9 hours straight on the highway. So that brings me to the car. 2000 GM HPP, 170k miles, never had a hitch installed. I replaced the intake with the updated aluminum crossover intake about a year and a half ago, and replaced a fouled coil. Car's been running great, but I've noticed an occasional delay in the trans when shifting from reverse to drive which has me concerned about embarking on a 450 mile road trip with a loaded car, pulling a trailer. My Harley weighs about 850 lbs, and if I do this, it'll be on a borrowed Harbor Freight folding trailer with 14" wheels. Probably talking about 1500ish lbs. of total trailer weight, plus me, the wife, two kids, and two small dogs and all of the accoutremants that go along with leaving home for a week plus.

Gimme your thoughts Oh Great GMN Braintrust!

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
    Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

check the fluid level. usually a delay means the fluid is a little low. you may have a very slow leak out the tail shaft seal like I do on my 93. I'd make sure there's an aux trans cooler and then go to town. I like the CURT I put on my vic and it'll handle 3500 pounds no problems.

Curt 13707 400/4000 tongue/tow though the adjustable hitch I got for the receiver is 350/3500. works well for me.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks, Sly. Was looking at a UHaul hitch since there's an installer right down the road from the office here. I'm sure I can handle the install myself, but in the interest of time since we're leaving next Thursday, was going to have them do it. Clearly, I need to do some additional research...

2000 Mercury Grand Marquis GS HPP - SOLD
      Wore out the cam chain tensioners and jumped time at 176k miles.

Comment

youtube has some videos about installing hitches on these cars.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Add a trans cooler. It ought to have one anyway for long term durability, but you will not help it at all it if you try and tow that much weight that much distance without one. If the trans fluid hasn't been changed in the last 50k, I'd probably do that too.

Actual tow capacity is not really a problem. I've hauled my S10 and two different Towncars with my 86 before. Its not happy pulling 4500 lbs, but it will do it. 1500 wouldn't be a problem at all. I've done around 2000 with a trailer before and it did very nicely.

My other concern would be the trailer itself. I'd probably re-pack the wheel bearings just in case, and I would definitely pick up a spare tire for it if you don't have one already. Give it a good inspection and make sure its roadworthy. I've seen a lot of broken trailers off the side of the road, or worse yet, being drug down the road by people who didn't realize something had happened. The usual failure is the bearings give up and cause the hub or axle end to break off. Thats sort of a pain in the ass to deal with on the side of the road in the middle of wherever.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
          X