Snow tire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snow tire question

I do plan on running a set of studded snows on 16 inch steelies for my 02 gm. I could just get the stock 225/60/16 tires, but I want something a little bigger to give me a buffer if I rub against or hit a curb. Was looking at either 225/70s instead or maybe even 235s or 245s. What's the largest size I can run without having to worry about clearance issues?

Click image for larger version

Name:	image (6).jpeg
Views:	3
Size:	3.09 MB
ID:	1302440

I would not go wider for a snow tire. Wider is generally bad, especially if you're somewhere so bad that studs are needed. You want to sink down to the bare ground quickly, not float on top.

225/70/16 will be at least at risk of rubbing, and your speedo will be reading low by about 5mph at 60. You will also lift your car by about an inch.

If you insist on going wider, what exact size do you want? 235/60/16 has a decent (but less than 225/60) tire selection. 245/50/16 is the only reasonably available 245 size that'll be about your diameter. It only has a few tires available, and the height will be a bit lower than stock.

Any wider than 245 on a 16" will have little to no snow tire choice.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
    160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
    waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

if you want taller for the potential curb bump... go with the 225/70. You'll just need to be gentle with turning if there's a dip. Personally, I'd just run stock size on the steelies and not worry about it. The steelies can take some abuse before being too bad to use.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I am using 215-65-16 snow for the winter. As the other guys mentioned narrow is better in a snow tire. Tirerack has an explanation about that. That size does not really make the sidewalls higher and so leaves the speedo correct.

Dunlop has some good tires I believe the snows are all made in Germany or the US. This of course is subject to change like everything else in the world. They own Goodyear and often the Goodyears are really Dunlops with a bit of cosmetic change.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

What you guys are saying makes sense. I wondered my little geo prizm did so well with skinny snow tires lol. I think I might just stick with the stock size to be safe, or go with a slightly taller sidewall. I'm not too worried about breaking a bead or anything. I have 285s on my truck that originally came with 235s, never had an issue.

Comment

Just by the way do you have a posi rear? I have not had to use the chains since I put in a posi carrier.
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I actually just installed a limited slip from an 04 mustang. I doubt I'll ever need chains. Just studs because I drive more in winter

Comment

yea 2 wheel drive and studs should work pretty well in the snow and ice. About as well as can be expected. Just be careful not to expect the rear to hang in there on a hard power turn like with regular tires and no posi.
                02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

215/65/16 is a good choice, run steel wheels for bouncing off curbs, usually the lower control arm folds before the wheel anyway.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                  2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                  1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                  1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                  2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                  1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

take it from jay, he drives like the world is about to end or something lol

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Hey you never know, practice, practice, practice.
                      02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Haha I do agree though. Everytime I get a new car I always take it to an empty lot to practice and learn how that vehicle responds to different conditions. I used to have a 99 silverado 4x4 ext cab so I'm no stranger to rwd in winter. I just wish they didn't use salt in NY. I actually LOVE driving in the snow so why remove it lol? I'm fine with plowing and even sand but salt literally ruins everything. My merc has already seen ny winters before so thats why I don't mind driving it during the winter months. I just like to be prepared. I've got myself a posi now, some steel rims, and sand bags. Now all I need is tires and remote start (mainly for the wife). I figure around September I'll grab some tires off tire rack, cuz you know, once September hits in western NY it's kind of a crapshoot when the snows gonna start lol.

Comment

I decided I am going to buy some studded snows now as General is offering a $50 rebate right now. I will be getting General Altimax Arctic studded winters, as I have had previous super satisfactory experience with them. You guys said previously that 215-65-16s were a great winter size alternative, but I have found 215-70-16s in the same tires for significantly less. Can I run the taller sidewall without clearance issues? What about ride quality, will it be affected much? My current tires size is 225/45/zr19, here is a size comparison of the two: http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/tir...5r19-215-70r16

I am looking to buy in the next couple of days. What are y'alls opinions?

Comment

The 70's will ride like pillows in comparison to what you have now. Generally, the higher the aspect ratio the softer the ride.
                            02 SL500 Silver Arrow

Comment

Truth.
                              I have 215/70/R15
                              Firestone WinterForces on the Tank and will try out the Goodyear I Can't Remember Model, 225/55/R17's on the Lincoln this year.
                              Where about in NY are you?
                              -ryan s.
                              08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
                              03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
                              97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
                              94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
                              73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
                              12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
                              Originally posted by pantera77
                              Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Working...
                              X