Locked Myself Out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Locked Myself Out

Hello. I was getting ready to go to work this morning and my neighbor comes over and starts talking. I finally get out of the car and when I lean up against the door, I guess I hit the right sequence of numbers on the "door pad lock" to activate it! The only key and fob that came with the car was in the ignition. I bought the car from a salvage yard that had impounded it. No one knows the number to unlock it. Ive recently went through a divorce and would prefer not to spend the money if anyone has any idea how I can get this open. The car is a 2001 Gran Marq.

Thanks in advance for any help!
    Bob
    sigpic 1989 Lincoln Towncar, All Stock.....Today

I figured something out in recent years after taking off the door panels to change speakers, but I don't recall the details. I think there is a horizontal rod connected to the part that goes up and down at the top of the door panel, though the horizontal rod itself might be much lower down. I was able to use a straightened wire coat hanger with a hook on the end to pull up on the horizontal rod and unlock the door. You basically have to stick the wire through the seal at the bottom of the window and fish around. I don't want to promote theft, so maybe someone should delete this post when you've solved your problem.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Thanks DIY. I'll have to give that a shot. I called the Ford dealership and they said its too old for them to get the number any longer. She said it was up under the dash, but that isn't a whole lot of help right this second. I know a retired police officer. I may see if he still has his jocklock too.

Comment

I typically use an unbent hanger with one end looped and pull the door back off the car at the top. hook the door handle with the loop and pull. At least that works on my 93.

I don't get locked out of my cars any more though... I carry a spare set of keys on another key chain in my pocket at all times. Key in the ignition isn't an issue... door key is in the pocket.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I always carry my spare key too. Another benefit is being able to leave the car running with the doors locked when you do brief tasks.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I locked myself out of my old 87 but the window was cracked open slightly.

The boxes have that front door lock that slides side to side and I spent at least 20 minutes trying to hook it before going D'OH! and pressing the power lock button.

If you can pull the top of the door back far enough, just hit the power door button with a hanger

Pete
            Originally posted by gadget73
            For other types of inquiry, more information is required. Please press 4 to speak to a representative who can help you with your question. This call may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

2003 Grand Marquis Ultimate, the "Stealth Bomber": http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...-Grand-Marquis
            1991 S-10, 'Bulldog', 2.5l 5 speed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...375#post698375
            1985 Town Car, 'Faded Glory', gone but not forgotten. 84/87/91/97 MGMs too.

Comment

if you have spare keys to the trunk, the key code is usually on the trunk hinge on the driver's side. Probably not much help at this point tho.

and pressing the 7/8 and 9/0 buttons together will lock the doors.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks for all the input. I like to do stuff myself, but after spending and hour and not being able to find a metal hanger (I knew I should have kept a couple) I found a guy to open it and build me a spare key for $45. Took him 2 minutes to complete, but was well worth it. Im 47 and never locked myself out of a car, but here we are.

For anyone looking in the future, I did learn something worth passing on since so many of these cars are out there and no one knows about the lock.

1) The original code was on a card in the glove box, on a sticker on the trunk lid or hinge and on the electronic that controls the locking mechanism (in the trunk or driver side dash depending on age)
                2) At least on the 2001, pushing the 7-8 and 9-0 button at the same time lock the doors (what I accidently did)
                3) Once you put in the 5 digit open code, you can push the 3-4 button to unlock the other doors
                4) Once you put in the 5 digit open code, you can push the 5-6 button to pop the trunk.

Hope it helps someone on their future searches.

Bob

Comment

I certainly don't want to contribute to theft, but I'm dying to know how he got in

Comment

probably put an air bag under the window. (Note you can use a blood pressure cuff) then used a rod to hit unlock button.
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
                      probably put an air bag under the window. (Note you can use a blood pressure cuff) then used a rod to hit unlock button.
                      Yep, it takes all of a minute.
                      2020 Volvo XC90 T6 Momentum (Ice White / Blonde)
                      2022 Ram 1500 4x4 5.7 Etorque, Built to Serve Edition, (Granite Crystal / Black)
                      Past Panthers
                      1989 Grand Marquis LS (Cabernet/Grey), 1989 Lincoln Town Car SS (White/Blue), 2004 Mercury Grand Marquis Ultimate (White/Black)

Originally posted by Lincolnmania
                      if its got tits or tires it's bound to give you trouble

Comment

Keep a spare key behind the rear license plate or belong to AAA

Comment

To follow up with the definitive answer.....He shoved a plastic wedge in the back top corner of the door. Then as several said, slipped an air bag, that looked just like a canvas blood pressure cuff in and down the back side of the door glass frame. Pulled the shim, pumped up the cuff and had a cool flexible rod about the diameter of a dime. Dropped it down and hit the button. In the car in minutes. Thanks guys!

Comment

Working...
                          X