hidden antenna?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hidden antenna?

My power antenna shit the bed a while ago, I heard that there are hidden antennas. Anybody know of one that would work for our cars. Gonig without radio is starting to annoy me

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

did the motor shit teh bed or does it need a new mast? masts are less than 20 bucks from ford.........dont think much of the windshield antennas, gm trash has those

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

in-glass antennas are fine if you don't listen to the radio, or you live down the street from the station. Reception on them is crap. GM puts them in the windshield, Ford put them in the rear glass on the Mark VIII, just above the defrost lines.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
        in-glass antennas are fine if you don't listen to the radio, or you live down the street from the station. Reception on them is crap. GM puts them in the windshield, Ford put them in the rear glass on the Mark VIII, just above the defrost lines.
        I have something like that, it's in the top center of the rear window, there is a pretty fat cable running from it that ends under the front right seat, and it has a big fat cylindrical plug (kinda like for a co-axial cable) that I have nothing to plug into. The antenna itself is also missing, just the base is there (the antenna screws onto the base). What's all that for, a CB-radio, or what? It seems that it's how the car came out of the factory, there are no traces of the glass being drilled or modified in any other way as to accept the antena's base...

Comment

sounds like an oldschool cell phone antenna ivan
          i had a cell phoone in 93 it was huge! came in a bag........had to use an external antenna to get any reception
          scott

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yea, cell phone or cb. They make those for cb's too.
            '89 Ford LTD Crown Vic - '92 Ford F-150 Custom -
            '95 Ford Bronco XL -

sigpic :rebel:

Comment

Hmm, I'll take pictures of it when I have a camera again, hope it's actually for a CB. But it'll be cool if I can hook up an original cell phone too

Comment

through-glass CB antennas are crap. Capacitive coupling is lossy, combine that with the wires for defrost and the slight mettallic content for the UV reduction and its just not very effective. Also, the antennas tend to be short because they're held on with sticky tape. Bigger is better in antennas, engines, and below the belt. Thru-glass works OK on the cell bands because the antenna can be small and still at a resonant wavelength. Its the loading to try and "fake" the length of the antenna that really makes them suck. The am/fm/cb antennas are also not too good. You can piss farther than you can talk with those. Same thing applies, lossy coupling and loading to try and make up for the fact the whip just isn't the right length for the frequency in use. That, and you're pumping RF energy right into your stereo which can't be any good for it.

That said, I think it would be neat to have a car with a factory am/fm/cb in it. It wouldn't be a talker but its def cool.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Mine doesn't look like it's held by sticky tape, but I'll have a better look tomorrow. As for the CB, you'll get a PM about that in the near future - my Premium Sound stereo works perfectly so I'm not gonna mess with it, but ading some extra cop-avoidance capabilities would be real nice :evil:

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnmania
                    did the motor shit teh bed or does it need a new mast? masts are less than 20 bucks from ford.........dont think much of the windshield antennas, gm trash has those
                    It needs the whole set up, motor is bad and the mast is siezed up. I might need to go scrounging.

2009 Ford F-350 6.4 powerstroke diesel. 1977 Ford F-150 built 300 six, 5 speed trans. 1976 MG MGB roadster, 359w, t5 5 speed. 1996 Kawasaki ninja ZX6R.
                    My rod is glowing, my bead is clean, my middle name is acetylene

Comment

Working...
                    X