Ignition switch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ignition switch

The ignition switch has 5 pairs of plugs and one single plug, can someone please tell me which of these are 'hot' when the engine is running? The idea is to splice their wires and run them to an external ON/OFF switch, so that I can run the engine without the key in (only running it, starting will still require the key) - basically start the car with the key, flip the switch on, put the parking brake on, shut off with the key (locking this way the steering), lock the doors, and go where I'm about the go, when I come back like 5-10 minutes later the engine's nicely idling, the car's warm and cosy, and most important I'm not screwing up my starter by making it work more often than it needs to.

dont have keyless entry?

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Nope, no keyless entry - it's a base TC, did they ever get them? Now I'm playing with two keys, one on the chain for just unlocking the car, and one to keep it running, but the switch will be much better solution.

Comment

I despise multiple keys in a vehicle. I swapped an entire lockset in my car just to keep them all matching after I destroyed my door lock. As a bonus, I got the groovy lighted keylock bezels.

But, to answer your question, on an 86 (and i'm sure yours is the same), the live terminals in the "run" position are this:
        37-16-687-297

37 is main +
        16 is ignition
        687 is accessory circuit 2
        297 is accessory circuit 1.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Gadget73, thanks man! So if I undrestand the whole circuit mess correctly:

a) I need to splice the two battery wires (37) and run them to one terminal of the switch, then splice the two A1 wires (297) and together with the single ignition wire (16) and the cooresponding A2 wire (687) run them to the other terminal of the switch?

or

b) both A1 terminals are always powered and I don't need to worry about them, thus leaving me to deal only with the 2 battery ones, the A2, and the ignition?

And since we're at it, would you mind telling me what are terminals #997 (P1), #41 (P2), and #262 for? I guess #32 is the starter Also what kind of switch will be best to use, I mean for how many amperes?

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73
            I despise multiple keys in a vehicle. I swapped an entire lockset in my car just to keep them all matching after I destroyed my door lock. As a bonus, I got the groovy lighted keylock bezels.

But, to answer your question, on an 86 (and i'm sure yours is the same), the live terminals in the "run" position are this:
            37-16-687-297

37 is main +
            16 is ignition
            687 is accessory circuit 2
            297 is accessory circuit 1.
            did your car have the plugs for the lighted bezels? if so, i think the wheels in my head are turning :evil:
            Save a seal, club a liberal.

Comment

my car will dio that, the only thing the ignition switch controls on the engine is the starter and the charge light, everything else is on toggle switches.
              http://secondhandracing.com/Home.aspx
              http://secondhandradio.com/

R.I.P. Jason P Harrill 6-12-06

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthread.php?t=5634

Comment

Originally posted by evilcrownvic
                did your car have the plugs for the lighted bezels? if so, i think the wheels in my head are turning :evil:
                Yes. Just had to plug them in. Kinda handy.

Ivan: 37 is battery power at all times. To keep just the engine going, all you really need to do is switch power to 16. The other two should run stuff like the radio, heater blower, etc.

Rest of the pins:

32 start ckt
                16 ignition ckt
                262 ignition bypass (jumps out the ballast resistor inline on the ignition coil)
                297 accessory 1
                977 Proof 1 ckt
                41 Proof 2 ckt
                687 Accessory 2
                37 Battery.

I'm assuming the proof connections involve the neutral safety switch in the transmission. According to the book, in "start" the continuity should be this:
                41-977-ground and 37-32-262.
                Run:
                37-16-687-297
                off and lock get nothing
                acc 37-297.

I'd highly reccomend a factory service manual for in-depth wiring tinkering. I've got one for my 86, but I really want an EVTM as well. That has more information on the electrical and vacuum systems than most people will ever need.
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Actually I wanted to have all accesories running, just as if the car is driving down the road, only without a key in. And so I did it, first took my old ignition swithc apart to find what makes contact with what and when does that happen, and then I noticed that ACC2 and ignition always work together - either both are on, or both are off. That said they both got to one output terminal of a two-circuit 20A switch, the other output got the ACC1 wire, and both input terminals got battery wires - for there I used 4 wires, two on each plug of the ignition switch, and I also crossed them at the external switch (so that each input terminal gets power from both ignition switch terminals). All the connections are crimped and soldered, should keep them tight for a while. Took me about 3 hours, but I suck at electronics so it'd normally be done much faster.

Comment

:bump:

Props to Ivan for referring me to this thread! Great info for us mavericks insisting on wiring up our own systems. And if I hadn't known to look inside the socket side of the switch for the numbers, I never would have found they also have lettering cast in to the tune of "IG1", "IG2", "BATT", "ST", "A1", "A2", etc. Turned out the '79 switch I'm using at the moment uses a different number for the Proof 2 (39, I think it was), but it's labelled "P2", so I guess that's that.

2012 Mazda5 Touring | Finally working on the LTD again!

Comment

Yah, forgot to mention you that, they are labeled with letters in addition to the numbers, kinda makes things nice and easy to figure out.

Comment

is the igniton switch in the wagon still messed up mike?

1989 mercury grand marquis gs / 2014 ford focus s daily driver
                        302 lopo with ho upper/ aod with trans go shift kit
                        k code 3:55 posi rear/big brake swap tow package car

Comment

Originally posted by gabegt90 View Post
                          is the igniton switch in the wagon still messed up mike?
                          Well, the questionable lock cylinder came out after it failed and I had to slowly and painfully smash it to bits in order to move the car without breaking the steering lock, if that's what you mean.

BTW Ivan, you mention about the connections being both crimped and soldered ... do you buy a special type of uninsulated terminal when you plan to solder it?

Comment

If you have the typical "insulated" terminals, that plastic bit just about falls off if you look at it funny. I'd actually toss it and use heat shrink tubing over the whole thing after soldering it.

Comment

I see your point as long as you're not working with spade or bullet connectors, where the insulation can come in handy. I actually did do just as you suggest on a few ring terminals where I was concerned about the plastic cracking and on one that I needed to expand the crimp end a bit before installing it. Just held the plastic with my crimpers over the propane heater for a few seconds, and then grabbed the ring with pliers and pulled it right out. I didn't bother actually soldering anything, though.... that'd be one thing I could definitely do to improve upon the quality of the current jobs, but I'm slightly intimidated by the idea of having to keep my soldering iron right there and screw with every single joint for at least 30 extra seconds.

Comment

Working...
                              X