pump constantly cuts off while pumping gas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

pump constantly cuts off while pumping gas

When I fill up, the pump will constantly cut off every few seconds. It will fill all the way up without cutting off if I twist the nozzle around so that it's in about the 2-3 o'clock position and hold it there, which is goddamned annoying to do every time I get gas. Same problem on both my 97 and 07.

I figure someone else has to have this problem. Anything I can do to fix it?

Always does it to me too. Fuckin' touchy goddamn fuel shutoffs. No fix that I know of.

Sent from my XT557 using Tapatalk 2
    Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Not sure doing anything with the car is going to help. Most likely a "touchy" pump. Pick another pump/station or manually fill the tank without using the auto cut off.

"Hope and dignity are two things NO ONE can take away from you - you have to relinquish them on your own" Miamibob

"NEVER trade your passion for glory"!! Sal "the Bard" (Dear Old Dad!)

"Cars are for driving - PERIOD! I DON'T TEXT, TWEET OR TWERK!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by miamibob View Post
        Not sure doing anything with the car is going to help. Most likely a "touchy" pump. Pick another pump/station or manually fill the tank without using the auto cut off.
        +1. I've had pumps that do that and pumps that keep pumping gas even when the tank is overflowing. When I went to Canada all the pumps I used would cut off unless you were constantly squeezing the nozzle handle. I learned to never assume it will shut off on its own.

1989 Lincoln Town Car Signature Series | 249k miles, current project car
        2018 BMW 430i xDrive M-Sport | 50k miles
        2018 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport | 97k miles

Comment

+1. Luck of the draw.

Try a different pump.

-ryan s.
          08 Lincoln Navigator L - 233k
          03 Mercury Marauder- 63k
          97 Ford Crown Victoria HPP "Tank of Justice III" (TOJ3) - 194k -->578.9 miles on ONE tank of gas<--
          94 BMW 325i Convertible - 135k
          73 VW Super Beetle "Bunky" <----- Wifey's
          12 Mini Cooper S - 90k <---- Wifey's
          Originally posted by pantera77
          Well my buddy tells him he knows exactly who loves buying shitboxes.

Comment

Happens to my 06 mgm, happens on my 87 lsc....
            1985 LTD Country Squire on Jackstands
            1987 Mark VII xpipe, mac mufflers, 125 shot
            2006 Grand Marquis ls 47k miles

Comment

Happens to me all the time too.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

It isn't the pump/station since it happens everywhere I go, have had the problem for years. I guess its maybe just a design flaw in how the neck of the gas tank is shaped or something? I seem to remember reading something about a pressure relief valve that could get clogged but maybe I'm just dreaming.

Comment

Originally posted by L1011tristar17 View Post
                  +1. I've had pumps that do that and pumps that keep pumping gas even when the tank is overflowing. When I went to Canada all the pumps I used would cut off unless you were constantly squeezing the nozzle handle. I learned to never assume it will shut off on its own.
                  Here in Canada, we used to have the kind of pump handle that you could set to stay on while washing your windows or checking your oil, but they stopped that feature many years ago. It was probably a matter of, like you say, pumps that keep pumping even when the tank is overflowing. That actually happened to me once when I was working at a gas station while going to high school. The proud Corvette owner was rather unhappy.

Since I have to keep my hand on the handle anyway, twisting the nozzle is not a great inconvenience when nothing else works. Other options are simply tilting the nozzle while its fully inserted or positioning the nozzle back from 1-3 inches from its fully inserted position and trying different angles. If you folks in the U.S. still have the hands-free setting, the only other thing I can think of is using a lower setting.

I don't know much about gas tanks, but don't some have a smaller pipe alongside the filler tube to allow air to escape when filling?
                  Last edited by IPreferDIY; 08-01-2014, 11:51 AM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                  mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

I have to angle the handle out a little. Meaning don't shove it all the way in. The nozzle is tilted upward inside the fuel neck a little. That helps. I don't use full speed (full blast) notch either. I use the gas cap to hold the squeeze handle. It holds it at a slower pace than the slowest notch. Then I'm free to check oil and do the windows.

My F150 is even worse than the car. If I use the full speed notch and not catch it in time, it would throw up about 1/2 a gal on to the side of the truck and the pavement! The sound of gas spilling and splashing just makes me cringe...All I hear (in my head) is FIRE!

sigpic

I'd rather be a failure at something I love than a success at something I hate.
                    George Burns

Comment

Boy, my gas pumps over here must be very defective. Every gas pump I've ever used no matter what station runs full blast no matter how much you squeeze the handle (makes it very hard to fill a motorcycle without gas getting EVERYWHERE from splash back), and they also cut off from all the time even if the tank is nowhere near full. The ones I use cut off when it detects a "full tank" even if you're manually squeezing the handle, cutting off your gas supply even if your at a half tank!!

Comment

We have the kind here in NJ with the rubber bellows to collect fumes. If you don't get them in just so, they don't work. Here, it seems like the trick is to put it in just far enough to stay in place, and no further. If you really jam it in there you'll be forever trying to fill up. I go to the truck stop and use the RV pumps so I don't have to wait in line for full service. Its mandatory here for cars.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

My '95 did this at certain stations. I just left the nozzle a few inches out and that almost always solved it.

Sometimes putting the nozzle in at a different angle can help too. I had one car (my Regal, I think) where I had to do that.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria
                          1977 Oldsmobile Cutlass Supreme
                          1996 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4, 360

Past: 1995 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor

Comment

Yeah this happens to my 92 P74 all the time; in fact, I can never get a full tank of fuel in. My 96 GMC 1/2 ton has no such issues.
                            sigpic

Comment

Working...
                            X