Is this an HO governor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is this an HO governor?

Hey guys. I have a line on a HO governor. Problem is they guys ad was from 2011. I contacted him and after all these years he does not know of this one he has in his possession is an HO governor. He took some pics for me. Can anyone help?

~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Its a H.O. governor a LoPo governor does not have a hole in the piston. The less weight the higher the shift point.

Comment

Thanks TrapSpeed.

SO I guess this is my next question...... Should I just go with a trango Hi rev kit> Brings the shifts to 4900 or so. Will have trick flow 170 twisted wedge heads, gt 40 lower intake with tubular upper all on top of an HO engine. I am thinking that may be the real thing to purchase for my build but would like some input.
      Last edited by 87gtVIC; 08-07-2014, 05:32 PM.
      ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I thought the standard HO gov set the shift point at around 5K dead to shift it by 53-5400. considering I read the numbers like 4 or so years ago on here... I'm probably off a bit.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Oops I made a boo boo. The transgo kit makes your tranny shit at 5500. I honestly do not know where the Ford HO governor sets the shifts at.
          ~David~

Comment

4800 or so.

I had a conversation with the Ford dealer parts guy. He's a walking talking Ford encyclopedia. Of course I forgot a lot of the conversation, but he mentioned something about using the Transgo hi-rev governor instead of the HO one (which is what I went there looking for). That will shift it at about the same revs as the HO one. But do not use the Transgo shift kit. Using the shift kit will bring the WOT shift up to 5500. Also there was something about the 1-2 being at a different RPM than the 2-3 by going this route.

Can anyone shed any light on any of this? Did I completely twist what he said into incomprehensible crap?
            1990 MGM: $50 E7 heads, HO cam, Holley SysteMAX lower intake, HO upper intake with an Explorer TB. LSC ECM. Lincoln logs into stock dual exhaust. K&N drop in air filter. Wide ratio AOD, 2400 converter with a 3.08 one tire fire out back. Car is less slow now. Then there's the '92 Beater. Dual 2.25" exhaust with shiny tips. Rumbles nice. Super slow. Burns oil too.

Comment

for a standard HO engine that sounds about right. The springs supposedly start to float that high... but with the setup Dave is going with, that shouldn't be an issue till about 6K I would think. Shift kit and hi-rev transgo may be the way to go.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The transgo kit is the way to go. From my own experiences do not install the governor by itself because it needs more line pressure due to tighter clearances and the much lighter weight. IIRC the other 2 springs are for the 2-3 and 3-4 shift valves. The transgo hi-rev kit can be combined with any shift kit. Just make sure you use everything in the transgo hi-rev kit of which is 3 springs and the governor itself.

Comment

Appreciate the input.

One last thing I have on my mind....I will be fine installing the hi rev kit into the stock governor or should I start out with a mustang governor?
                  ~David~

Comment

Pull the governor out of the housing by removing the 2 phillips head screws, remove the c-clip & spring, swap the spring which should be (red) IIRC put the little c clip back on the transgo governor and re-install. Make sure the screen in the housing does not come out and you should be all set. The housing is the same. The piston is what is different and all 3 will weigh in different with the transgo being the lightest in weight and the stock lopo being the heaviest the stang one falls in the middle weight wise.
                    Last edited by TrapSpeed111; 08-11-2014, 11:28 PM.

Comment

So no need to purchase the mustang one and then add the kit. No added benefit. Thanks.
                      ~David~

Comment

No problem!

Comment

3 governors were available for AOD - low speed (4200 rpm) Medium speed (4500 rpm) and High speed (4800 rpm)

according to transgo site, Hi-Rev kit has 2 options... 5400-5900 (depending on cam, torque converter and rear gear) or 6400-6800

http://www.transgo.com/products.php?...dcountview=Yes

also, use this to identify HO governor
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by 88grandmarq; 08-23-2014, 12:07 AM.
                          2003 Town Car Signature - 3.27 RAR, Dual exhaust and J-mod - SOLD 9/2011
                          89 Crown Victoria LX HPP -- SOLD 9/2010
                          88 Grand Marquis LS - The Original -- Totaled 5/2006

I rebuild AOD/AODE/4R70W/4R75E transmissions....Check out my Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/North...48414635312478

Comment

Geez, that's a big step between HO and Hi-rev. I wanna be shifting 5000 or so.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                            160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                            waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Working...
                            X